SCCM 2012 R2 and Management Point RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In lab environment I have 4 machines /VMs.

1. ADDS (Domain Controller + DNS , EXAMPLE.LOCAL)
    2. DHCP (DHCP Server,joined to example.local)
    3. SQLDB (SQL 2012 , Joined to EXAMPLE.LOCAL)
    4. SCCM   (Config Mgr 2012, joined to EXAMPLE.LOCAL)

A. Is that Infrastructure make sense in terms of best practices?

B. I have added SQLDB and SCCM server to the Administrators group on ADDS. On System Management container, I have delegated control to SQLDB and SCCM serevers computer accounts.

C. When installing SCCM, I selected SQLDB server for database and SCCM server for the management point and distribution point. I am getting following warnings:

(i) Schema is not extended   -----> But I have done that on ADDS /domain controller.

(ii) System Management Container should contain Site Server delegation  - - - > I have done that but still getting the msg.

Is there design consideration that I am making mistake? Is SCCM server must be installed on domain controller?

N.A.Malik

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:26 PM

Answers

• Correct. If you use a remote SQL that server will also be a site server within ConfigMgr.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

• Marked as answer by N A Malik Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:25 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 10:19 AM
  • Yes, if a configmgr role is on another server, it will be listed as a site server in the hierarchy.

My mini lab at home has all roles (including DC) on the same server.  Certainly wouldn't be considered "best practice", but works for the minor tasks I perform on it.  As has been mentioned already, how you set up the hierarchy of the site is dependent on your environment's needs.

• Marked as answer by N A Malik Thursday, September 17, 2015 10:31 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 10:27 AM
  • There is no "best practise" IMHO. The solution has to fit the needs and there are always multiple ways to achieve a goal.
    In my lab there's DHCP running on the DC and SQL is locally on the site server.

Keep SQL locally if the client count doesn't dictate to have it remote.

Don't install *anything* on a domain controller (opk, that's what I would call "best practise" :-) ). Just ignore the warnings for now. You can fix that later on, too.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Jörgen NilssonMVP Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by N A Malik Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by N A Malik Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:57 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:53 PM

All replies

• There is no "best practise" IMHO. The solution has to fit the needs and there are always multiple ways to achieve a goal.
    In my lab there's DHCP running on the DC and SQL is locally on the site server.

Don't install *anything* on a domain controller (opk, that's what I would call "best practise" :-) ). Just ignore the warnings for now. You can fix that later on, too.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Jörgen NilssonMVP Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by N A Malik Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by N A Malik Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:57 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

If I am not wrong, you mean to have SQL on same box as SCCM is being installed?

N.A.Malik

Thursday, September 17, 2015 8:34 AM
  • Correct.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:01 AM
  • Ok, great thanks.

If you noticed my infra components, I have SCCM and SQL and DC on diffirent machines /VMs.

Now Config Mgr has been installed and what is bit odd for the time being I have 2 site servers, one is SCCM and other is SQL server ... is it normal?

N.A.Malik

• Edited by N A Malik Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:58 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:52 AM
  • Correct. If you use a remote SQL that server will also be a site server within ConfigMgr.

• Marked as answer by N A Malik Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:25 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 10:19 AM
  • Yes, if a configmgr role is on another server, it will be listed as a site server in the hierarchy.

My mini lab at home has all roles (including DC) on the same server.  Certainly wouldn't be considered "best practice", but works for the minor tasks I perform on it.  As has been mentioned already, how you set up the hierarchy of the site is dependent on your environment's needs.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 10:27 AM