Delivering Office 2010 Standard and Pro Plus and issues with virtual proxies RRS feed

• Question

• We're tyring to deliver Office 2010 Standard (32bit) and Office 2010 Pro Plus (32bit) packages to a MS Server 2008 R2 RDS environment (running Citrix XenApp 6) so users licencsed for Standard get Standard and users licensed for Pro Plus get Pro Plus. Packages sequenced, activated (KMS) and tested fine however having problems with setting up virtual proxies to work for both packages at the same time. Virtual proxies work fine for each package independently however when attempting to use both packages at the same time and configuring via two msiexec /i OffVirt.msi ADDDEFAULT=Click2runOneNoteProxy .... commands the last one issued is the one that is used for both packages. We are only usiing the SharePoint proxy.

Any thoughts on what I can do to enable the both SharePoint proxy configurations for the packages concurrently?

Additionaly when loading a SharePoint site in IE there is a delay of atleat 5 minutes before the page is displayed. I'm aware of the workaround to drop the Microsoft SharePoint Client support manager into the startup folder, however in an RDS environment this is far from ideal. Does any have any experience of getting Office 2010 delived via App-V  and SharePoint proxy to work well in an RDS environment?

Thanks,

Nick

Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:20 PM

Answers

• #1 From what i know of office proxies, all they do is launch an sfttray command that points to the applications you specified in your ODK (i.e. "PACKAGEVERSION=14.0.4763.1000 MAPISERVER="Proxy MailTo"" in the ODK launches sfttray.exe Proxy MailTo 14.04763.1000). Could you modify the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\CVH proxy keys to point to a script instead of the sfttray command? This script could check group membership and launch the correct virtual app... Haven't tried this before but might be worth a look. I'm not sure if the PACKAGEGUID property specified in the ODK matters much, i modified it before and my proxies still launched, so having different packageguids might not matter.

#2 Experienced the same issue as you before. Open up regedit within your virtual app and see if the following keys are there:

HKCR\CLSID\{9203C2CB-1DC1-482d-967E-597AFF270F0D}\TreatAs

HKCR\CLSID\{BDEADEF5-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\TreatAs

It is not sufficient that these keys have no values in them, the keys themselves cannot exist in the virtual environment. Delete them as part of monitoring to do this. This step is in the prescriptive guidance but i only deleted the subkeys and values the first time around. Might not be the issue with you but worth a look.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:31 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:41 AM

All replies

• Nick,

#1 Good question (although not stated in the form of a question, so you loose Jeopardy! points).  I don't know the answer regarding the proxies, but would guess that it ain't going to work to install the proxies twice, once for each package.  Fortunately, I'm in Redmond for the MVP Summit and the MVPs have a few questions primed up to talk to the Microsofties about App-V/Office Integration, so I'll add this into the mix.

#2 You still loose the points for not stating in the form of a question.  5 minutes?  Really?  I must be living under a rock because I haven't heard of that before.  Perhaps someone with better living conditions can answer.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )
    Monday, February 28, 2011 1:28 AM
  • Tim,

I'd be interested to hear what Microsoft have to say re #1.

Are proxies for sequenced Office 2010 64 bit (delivered to a 64bit O/S) still not supported? The following has been an excellent reference during our sequencing attempts and indicates that they are not supported for Office 2010 64 bit - http://www.softgridblog.com/?p=153

Re. #2, I was vaguely referring to the following blog I'd read -> http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2010/09/27/troubleshooting-slow-sharepoint-integration-with-virtualized-microsoft-office-2010-in-app-v.aspx. I'll do a bit more testing in a non RDS environment to see if the issue persists.

Many thanks,

Nick

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:46 PM
  • #1 From what i know of office proxies, all they do is launch an sfttray command that points to the applications you specified in your ODK (i.e. "PACKAGEVERSION=14.0.4763.1000 MAPISERVER="Proxy MailTo"" in the ODK launches sfttray.exe Proxy MailTo 14.04763.1000). Could you modify the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\CVH proxy keys to point to a script instead of the sfttray command? This script could check group membership and launch the correct virtual app... Haven't tried this before but might be worth a look. I'm not sure if the PACKAGEGUID property specified in the ODK matters much, i modified it before and my proxies still launched, so having different packageguids might not matter.

#2 Experienced the same issue as you before. Open up regedit within your virtual app and see if the following keys are there:

HKCR\CLSID\{9203C2CB-1DC1-482d-967E-597AFF270F0D}\TreatAs

HKCR\CLSID\{BDEADEF5-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\TreatAs

It is not sufficient that these keys have no values in them, the keys themselves cannot exist in the virtual environment. Delete them as part of monitoring to do this. This step is in the prescriptive guidance but i only deleted the subkeys and values the first time around. Might not be the issue with you but worth a look.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:31 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:41 AM