none
PerformancePoint 2010 - how to hide not related dimension? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, I have PerformancePoint 2010 (SharePoint 2010) getting data from SSAS 2008 R2 cube.

When user right-click to Drill down/up, its shows "not related dimension" in the list as well. I created SSAS few perspectives by our company processes. However still inside this perspective few of the dimensions are not related to a measure group (fact). Any idea how to hide non-related dimension from drill-down/up list on PPS 2010? Thanks.

NOTE-As I mention above SSAS perspective is NOT helping 100% to hide the non-related dimension as descibe in this article
    http://denglishbi.wordpress.com/tag/performancepoint-2/

Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:39 PM

All replies

• You should be able to do this with perspectives as long as you are using the Enterprise edition of SSAS (assuming you are using multidimensional).

Simply remove the dimensions from the perspective that are unrelated to your measure group.  If this is not working for you for some reason then you will need to provide more specifics because once you reference that perspective to create your analytical reports you should be good to go.

Dan English's BI Blog

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Hi Dan, thanks for that.

Reason for SSAS Perpective doesn't work 100% is because :

- We created SSAS perspectives based on our company's processed. So one perspective for each process. Now inside this perceptive, couple of measure group doesn't fit to some of the dimension. And as I said this perspective is for a given process and can't create new perspectives depending on the non-related dimension measure group.

- From user point of view, we use each process perspective for PerformancePoint and MS Excel Services 2010 connection. It is okay for PPS if I create a new perspective for that measure group but for MS Excel Services 2010, only allows to create connection for each process (and one perspective). If I create multiple perspectives than in MS Excel Services, end-user are going to have heaps of connection and don't know know which to use. But best past in MS Excel Services PivotTable is that it has a option on top 'show only related group' that hide all non-related dimension.

??

Sunday, October 21, 2012 11:18 PM
  • If you need to include non-related dimensions into your perspectives then there is no other option to remove these.  In this case and as mentioned in my post you only want to include the related dimensions in the perspectives.  Unfortunately your requirements are different and will not work.  If you create another perspective just for this particular case then your users could reference this and it could potentially confuse them when using Excel, that is something that you would need to work out with your end users.

Dan English's BI Blog

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:31 AM