Network errors slowing down PC applications RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user with a Wndows Server 2008 domain plus five Windows 7 Pro computers. One of those computers is very slow at startup. The first app the user opens is Outlook 2010 and it takes several minutes to open. Sometimes the user is forced to restart again hoping it goes better the second time. I noticed several network errors in the System Event Log. I scanned the KB and tried a few solutions but without success. Your suggestions for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Summary of network related errors:

Source:  Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy
    Event ID: 1055
    Computer:  <computer name>.<domain>.local
    Description: The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not resolve the computer name.
    Notes: It is a single server domain controller. Restarts of PC and server do not resolve the problem. Do I remove and add to the domain? If so, will it 'orphan' the user profiles on the Windows 7 PC?

Source:  Microsoft-Widows-Security-Kerberos
    Event ID:  14
    Computer:  <Computer name>.<domain>.local
    Description: The password stored in Credential Manager is invalid.
    Notes: I opened Credential Manager and added the password for the requested domain user name. This failed to fix the problem.

Source: Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager
    Event ID:  1067Computer: <Computer name>.<domain>.local
    Description: The terminal server cannot register 'TERMSRV' service Principal Name to be used for server authentication. The following error occured: Access is denied.
    Notes: I believe all three errors are related to a single root cause.

Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated for overcoming these three related network errors.

Thank you.

Herb Kolodny
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hi DHK2,

I agree that the root cause is computer authentication on the domain. 

Disjoining and rejoining the domain often clears this problem. 

It will not orphan the domain user profiles stored on the local computer.  Once the user logs in again, it will pick up his old domain profile.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Hi,

I am just writing to check the status of this thread. Was the information provided in previous reply helpful to you? Do you have any further questions or concerns? Please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 6:28 AM
  • To All,

Thanks for your recommendations. I will disjoin and rejoin the domain tomorrow in the client's office. I wasn't able to get onsite before tomorrow, Tuesday.

Regarding the suggestion of the domain name in the router/firewall, I will look at that. I will also examine the DHCP Server and DNS Server settings on the Domain Controller to make sure all is correct. The router has its DHCP server feature disabled. Also, on all the PCs, I have NETBIOS over TCP/IP set.

I promise to post results back here before EOB tomorrow.

Herb Kolodny
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:00 AM
  • If the other clients are successfully obtaining IP addresses from your server DHCP, I would leave that alone.  Keep the DHCP function of your router turned off.  Turning it on without the proper 80/20 configuration could lead to disaster on your network!
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:55 AM
  • The bottom line is the process of disjoining and rejoining the domain failed to fix the problem.

These are the steps I followed:

1. disjoined the computer from the domain. I performed the task from the computer.
    2. Removed the computer from the domain. I performed this task  from the server's console.
    3. Logged onto the computer as a local administrator to check the event logs. The error events were NOT there.
    3. Rejoined the domain from the computer as a local administrator.
    4. Logged on as a local computer administrator after rejoining to view the event logs and saw that the same error messages returning.
    5. Logged on as the domain user and verified that the old profile was functioning as before. The good news is, none of the settings were affected. The bad news is, the problem is still there.

Alex, will a Microsoft tech weigh in on this issue?

Herb Kolodny
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Hi Herb,

I have used MS Technical Support, and they are excellent.  In my country, you pay a fixed fee for the repair, no matter what it takes.

A cheaper option, (but maybe not practical for you), would be to re-format ther problem machine.  I have a naughty pc that I have to do exactly this with.  Luckily, there is not problem with re-formatting it, and so I won't have to call MS!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to open Outlook in non-domain environment?

If this problem occurs to all applications, I suggest you boot into Safe Mode with networking to see the result.

For the network error, I suggest you set a delay for the process of Group Policy:

Windows 7 Clients intermittently fail to apply group policy at startup

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Dear Alex,

Your last posting about Outlook gave me pause because I thought perhaps Outlook had its own problem. I did perform an inbox repair on the pst file. It found and corrected errors. I will wait for the user to advise me if it improved performance or stability for the next day or so.

Regarding the group policy issue, I added the DWORD entry in the Windows Registry of the PC. I was surprised by the question regarding 32 or 64-bit. I chose 32-bit for the PC because that is the version of Windows 7 that is current running on it.

I rebooted the server and noticed no improvement in Outlook, ACT, QB, Word or any other application that has to access files on the server. The same error messages were there, including the Group Policy error message. In other words, no improvement. No change.

I may take BigTeddy's advice next week about opening a ticket with microsoft.

Alex, are you the Microsoft tech? If yes, do you have additional suggestions?

Herb Kolodny
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, as a suggestion, please enable the following policy to see the result:

System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon.

If you enable this policy setting, computers wait for the network to be fully initialized before users are logged on. Group Policy is applied in the foreground, synchronously.

Meanwhile, as for this application hang issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum because of the nature of forum support. Contacting Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance can be resolved this preblem efficiently.

If you want to open a case at Microsoft support service, to obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

Friday, August 5, 2011 8:55 AM
  • Dear Alex,

Contacting Tech Support. That is what I will do early next week when I am onsite again for that client. Thanks for trying.

Herb Kolodny
    Friday, August 5, 2011 12:10 PM
  • Hi,

As i read your post i also faced same problem in my network but i haven't find any event log about network.You are facing problem with only one computer and rest of computer is working fine. According to my experience pls check that pc without domain account. If the problem same without domain id than you have to check your pc hard disk. I solved my issue through this process.

Regards

Praveen

Friday, August 5, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Dear Praveen,

Thanks for your inputs. The only network application I can test without the domain is Outlook and Internet. The other network tasks, including MS Word files, require that I am a member of the domain or I cannot access them. I will be onsite again at that client this coming Tuesday. Hopefully, I can reach MS Tech Support to resolve at that time.

I will post an update at that time.

Best regards,

Herb Kolodny
    Friday, August 5, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Hi herb,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. Have you resolved this issue?

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Dear Alex,

As luck would have it, I ran out of time before being able to call MS tech support yesterday. I hope to complete that task tomorrow or Friday. But when I do, and I have a solution, I promise to report it here. Promise.

Best regards,

Herb Kolodny
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Dear Alex,

This is my last posting/reply for this issue. I did reach a Microsoft Tech on the phone, but he steered me to an Outlook expert rather than a Network one. The initial testing indicated that there was no 'network' problem. The tech based this assessment on the fact that I could network quickly to files on a network drive on the server and that a MS Word file opened fairly quickly.

The Outlook tech decided to create a new Outlook profile and attach it to the exisitng .PST file. It did respond better, but it still left me with network errors and warnings in the event viewer. It also left me with a long startup time for the PC.

FYI, I also noticed the same network errors occuring in a newly setup Win7Pro PC. So I will try reposting my problem in the Window Server 2008 forum and hope for more input.

Thanks for your assistance.

Herb Kolodny
    Friday, August 26, 2011 8:43 PM
  • Hi Herb,

Thanks for your feedback here.

As you said, the slow start up issue still persists, and it seems this is related to the Windows Server configuration. Hope you can address this issue soon in Windows Server forum.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Monday, August 29, 2011 2:16 AM