WSUS - Does WSUS reverse actions it's already acted on. RRS feed

• Question

• Simple question, but complex scenarios, I guess.

1) If I move a computer client to a group that has already had, say, 200 updates approved for it, will WSUS install all the updates the new client has missed, or does it install everything approved from that point forward?

2) If I decline updates for a group, and some clients that already have the update are moved into that group, will wsus attempt to uninstall the declined update?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 10:36 PM

Answers

• 1) If I move a computer client to a group that has already had, say, 200 updates approved for it, will WSUS install all the updates the new client has missed, or does it install everything approved from that point forward?

I think the situation you describe is roughly divided into two types:

1. The new client is assigned to a parent group and there are already some updates approved in this group. [Green selection]
    2. A subgroup is created under the existing parent group (containing the approved updates), and the new client is assigned to this subgroup. [Red selection]

Going back to your question, if the above two conditions match your computer group assignment for a new client, you can inherit the approved updates from this computer group.

2) If I decline updates for a group, and some clients that already have the update are moved into that group, will wsus attempt to uninstall the declined update?

Decline is not a Remove.
    Removal is an action that requires separate approval, and there is an inheritance relationship mentioned in the previous question, this operation is also inherited.

So decline won't let any updates installed on the client be removed, just a way to prevent approval.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:03 AM