none
Restore the OS of my WD Sentinel DX4000 back to default while keeping all the data and configuration in the RAID drives. RRS feed

• Question

• The system disk of my wd dx4000 was a 65GB rotating hard drive, factory installed.

The disk has been at or near full at all times during the years since I purchased it in 2013.

Recently, I have been unable to boot it correctly and have tried many hacks to eliminate unnecessary data on the drive so that I might be able to mirror the system disk to a larger SSD drive.

The system also has another 300GB 2.5" rotating drive which I seem to remember was mirrored to the 65GB drive. And I'm gong to try to swap those out and maybe get that working.

But I expect to have to restore/recover the OS system under all possibilities.

However, I am concerned about losing the RAID configuration, and therefore all the data stored on the drive.

One of the last attempts I made at overcoming the 0% disk space available issue was to reduce the Swap memory space on the system drive. Since then, the WIN Server 2008 r2 storage essentials system will not boot correctly.

I'd like to be able to boot into emergency mode (F8?) and restore the swap space.

But I'd really like to find a way create a 'recovery' install to the OS WITHOUT busting the RAID configuration or losing the data on the two 4TB Raid drives.

The WD utilities page for the system has a download of a 'System Recovery' image (USB I imagine).

I have used something like this from the WD site for the Sentinel series previously and successfully (that is I reset the OS to factory default AND preserved the RAID config and RAID Data), but the current documentation is not 'absolutely unambiguous' in its description that I can choose to 'preserve my data' or 'lose my data'. 

I need confirmation that the 'my data' being referenced is the data on the RAID configuration and RAID drive contents, not the typical 'user folder' data on the OS drive.

Of course, I'm expecting my system drive to have its data replaced.

Can someone please advise me?

Thanks,

Kimball

Sunday, July 7, 2019 8:54 PM

All replies

• hi
    I am researching your issue ,thanks for your waiting.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 8, 2019 3:29 PM
  • hi,

1 did you config software raid or hardware raid ?
    2 Are OS partition and all sbs data partition on WD Sentinel DX4000?
    3 how many disks in WD Sentinel DX4000 storage device and how do you specify disk capacity to these disks?
    4 do you have another
    wd dx4000 device? I am not sure if you can backup all data(include os ) and restore to another wd dx4000 device with high storage capacity by using backup tool(e.g symantec backup exec)? 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 4:11 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Thursday, July 18, 2019 9:48 AM
  • HI
    is there anything to help you ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, July 22, 2019 10:15 AM