none
How to remove a tape from Offline Lib. RRS feed

• Question

• I need to do a recovery from a tape which was once in a library with a different library name.

The library is still the same, just a new name with a working barcode reader now.

Now I have a problem that the tape label is listed twice under "View Tape List" in Recovery (see Screenshot). To recover data DPM lists both tapes. One with barcode and the other without barcode and from different libraries. But its the same tape! Therefore I cant start the recover process.

How can I get rid of this tape in the offline library?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Do you show an offline library in the DPM Gui under the library tab ?   If so, you need to change all your protection groups to use the library that is online, and the offline library should go away.   Then see if the restore will work.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:44 AM
  • No, there is no other library in the GUI under the Management Tab visible.

That's why I'm something frustrated....

Any way to do it with a SQL query and remove those entries?

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, that is probably the way we would need to go, but we would need a copy of the msdpm db and this is not something we can do in a forum setting.

You can restore the whole data set from a tape by using the "view details" then "copy" button to restore it to a volume or share, once restored you can copy the data back to the original location, else, If you want to open a support case, we can try to fix the sql tables.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:24 PM
  • trying to fix the db would be nice but it is 2.6GB big.

in the meantime I started this copy from tape job, to get at least my missing data. thats just a work-around for me.

how do i proceed to open a support case?

many thanks. 

Friday, June 24, 2011 6:30 AM
  • The DB size is not an issue - you can just create a backup of it, then zip it up, it should reduce down nicely and you can upload it to a ftp workspace once a case is opened.

If you want to pursue this immediatly, you can visit the following web site to open a support incident. The charge to your CC will not be processed until your case is resolved and closed, if it's a bug in the DPM 2010 code then we wave all charges.

Solution Center: System Center Data Protection Manager
                     http://support.microsoft.com/ph/9765#tab0

http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance

In the Quick product finder, enter: System Center Data Protection Manager [2007 or 2010]

In the next screen, chose the option that applies, the last option is for CC. 

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:18 PM
  • housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:45 PM