Collection Database install fails RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install the FCS management roles on a server (2003) with just 1GB of free space on c:\. SQL Management Studio has the DB and log file locations set to two other drives and I verified that they each have 100GB+ free. I've also got .net 1.1 SP1 installed and am installing from files copied to a local drive.

Reading the log (here is a link, the MOM stuff starts around line 848), I think the problem is that MOM is failing its prereq check. I ran MOMServer.msi from the \Server directory. Boom, it failed. The failure is:

The computer name has changed after SQL server was installed. SQL server must be reinstalled.

Well...I can't reinstall SQL. Is there any other way to resolve this? Thanks

• Moved by Miles Zhang Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:14 AM (From:Forefront Client Security Setup and Configuration)
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:26 PM

Answers

• I ended up installing SQL Server and FCS on another server. 
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:45 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:16 PM

All replies

• Did you change the computer name and with out rebooting installed SQL? Also install the latest ,net 3.5 sp1. Its SQL 2005 so I think the min req is .net 2.0 with SP2

~VC
    • Edited by VC1001 Friday, October 22, 2010 10:42 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:45 PM
  • The name was changed months ago (I just downloaded FCS a few weeks ago) and the box has been restarted several times since then.

I do have .net 3.5 SP1 installed. I've got 2.0 SP1 installed too.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:35 PM
  •  1. Log on by using an account that has administrative credentials.
     2. Click Start, click Programs, click Microsoft SQL Server, and then click Query Analyzer.
     3. In the Connect to SQL Server dialog box, click (local) in the SQL Server list, and then click OK.
     4. In SQL Query Analyzer, type the following code:

sp_dropserver 'old_name'
          GO
          sp_addserver 'new_name', 'local'
          GO

Note In this code, old_name is a placeholder for the old name of the computer, and new_name is a placeholder for the new name. Type the actual old name and new name instead of these placeholders.
       5. Click Execute Query (F5) to run the query.
       6. Quit SQL Query Analyzer.

You must restart the SQL Server service for the change to take effect. After the server is restarted, confirm that the correct value of the new server name is returned by executing the following commands in Query analyzer:
    Select @@servername Select ServerProperty('machinename')
    The names returned should match in spelling and case.
    ~VC
    • Edited by VC1001 Friday, October 22, 2010 10:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:50 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by mhashemi Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:15 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:55 PM
  • I don't have Query Analyzer so I used SQL Server Management Studio. The command completed succesfully but the MOM seutp shows the same prereq failure.

Friday, October 22, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Did you restart after running?
    ~VC
    Friday, October 22, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Yup, twice.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 1:05 PM
  • I ended up installing SQL Server and FCS on another server. 
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:45 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:16 PM