Amount of time for scheduled updates?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We used to use the Shared Computer Toolkit version of Disk Protect. I have downloaded Windows SteadyState, with it's new version of windows disk protect. With the old version I modified the amount of sleep time for critical updates so that the PC's wouldn't get stuck in a loop if the updates didn't finish.

How do I know for sure that if I set the update time for 10:00 PM, that there will be enough time for the updates to actually take place? I don't see any length of time setting.

Thanks,

Dale

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In SteadyState, the update cycle does not exit until the update scripts have completed so this should not be necessary for Windows Updates. 

Some antivirus program updates may require extra time to finish their updates.  This is because their update processes are typically asynchronous, so the executable that is called to perform the update returns immediately instead of waiting for the update be complete before returning.  If you notice that AV updates are not being downloaded and installed reliably, you can add or modify a sleep command to the end of the appropriate AV script in %ProgramFiles%\Windows SteadyState\Scripts.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:02 PM
  •  

Hi Tic1745,

If updates (including security updates and antivirus updates) were installed through SteadyState’s Schedule Software Updates component, they will apply permanently. When WDP is turned on, these updates are not subsequently removed at restart. However, if updates were installed through other methods, WDP will remove all the changes at restart if the “Remove all changes at restart” option is selected.

During the installation of updates, Windows SteadyState makes sure that the “Retain all changes permanently” option is turned on in the Protect the Hard Drive dialog box. After the installation of all updates, SteadyState will restore the WDP option to “Remove all changes at restart”. That’s why all updates will be retained.

For more information about WDP, see the “Protecting the Hard Disk” section in this handbook:

Windows SteadyState Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D64AF114-336C-4418-BEB7-E074E813B498&displaylang=en

Best Regards,

Monday, July 30, 2007 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In SteadyState, the update cycle does not exit until the update scripts have completed so this should not be necessary for Windows Updates. 

Some antivirus program updates may require extra time to finish their updates.  This is because their update processes are typically asynchronous, so the executable that is called to perform the update returns immediately instead of waiting for the update be complete before returning.  If you notice that AV updates are not being downloaded and installed reliably, you can add or modify a sleep command to the end of the appropriate AV script in %ProgramFiles%\Windows SteadyState\Scripts.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:02 PM
  • Rob,

Thanks for your help. That makes sense.

Dale

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:25 PM
  •  

Hi Rob,

if i turn on the WDP and delete at restart, will the Windows security update and McAfee Dat file be retained or get updated and remove all the users profile or changes at restart.

thanks.

Tic1745

Friday, July 27, 2007 8:34 PM
  •  

Hi Tic1745,

If updates (including security updates and antivirus updates) were installed through SteadyState’s Schedule Software Updates component, they will apply permanently. When WDP is turned on, these updates are not subsequently removed at restart. However, if updates were installed through other methods, WDP will remove all the changes at restart if the “Remove all changes at restart” option is selected.

During the installation of updates, Windows SteadyState makes sure that the “Retain all changes permanently” option is turned on in the Protect the Hard Drive dialog box. After the installation of all updates, SteadyState will restore the WDP option to “Remove all changes at restart”. That’s why all updates will be retained.

For more information about WDP, see the “Protecting the Hard Disk” section in this handbook:

Windows SteadyState Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D64AF114-336C-4418-BEB7-E074E813B498&displaylang=en

Best Regards,

Monday, July 30, 2007 9:13 AM
  •  

Thanks Shawn Shao
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:32 AM