Upgrade Path from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Currently I am downloading windows 10 32 bit, as the current software installed is windows 7 professional (32 bit).  My computer is compatible with 64 bit and has 8 gig's of ram installed.  Upon completion of windows 10 32 bit installation, can I update it to 64 bit?

I want to fully utilize the 8 gigs of ram which is currently being underutilized with the 32 bit software.

• Edited by Aby555 Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:42 AM
    • Edited by Brandon Records Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:58 PM Clarified Title
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

No, you can only in-place upgrade to corresponding Windows 10. It means 32 bit Windows 7 to 32 bit Windows 10, 64 bit Windows 7 to 64 bit Windows 10.

However, if you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows and if you don’t mind performing a clean install of Windows 10 after completing the upgrade, you could upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:50 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the response.  Currently I am installing windows 10 professional 32 bit using the following link -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

There was a question regarding product key.  I input the product key supplied for windows 7 professional 32 bit, but that didn't work.  So I hit the "skip" button.  Will this have an detrimental effect later on?

Also after I have installed Windows 10 professional 32 bit, how can I upgrade to Windows 10 professional 64 bit?

• Edited by Aby555 Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:23 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:22 PM
  • Hello,Update - I was able to successfully install windows 10 professional 64 bit.  The only problem I have now is getting it activated.  My previous version was a Genuine Windows 7 professional 32 bit.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:27 PM
  •  It won't activate. As you were told before, the free upgrade offer was like to like. You get a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro 32-bit to Windows 10 Pro 32-bit. If you want the 64-bit version you will have to buy a 64-bit Windows 10 Pro product key to activate.

Bill

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Friday, August 7, 2015 2:11 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 2:01 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the response.  Currently I am installing windows 10 professional 32 bit using the following link -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

There was a question regarding product key.  I input the product key supplied for windows 7 professional 32 bit, but that didn't work.  So I hit the "skip" button.  Will this have an detrimental effect later on?

Also after I have installed Windows 10 professional 32 bit, how can I upgrade to Windows 10 professional 64 bit?

You are REQUIRED to perform an upgrade install of Windows 10, the same version that you already have (32-bit to 32-bit, Home to Home, Pro to Pro, etc...)

Once the upgrade is complete, confirm that your Windows 10 is Activated. Once it is activated, you can perform a clean install. In this manner, you can switch between 32-bit and 64-bit editions, however you must still use the same level (Home to Home, Pro to Pro)

You can use the Media Creation Tool to download the 64-bit ISO/USB as well, and use it to perform the clean installation. You WILL be prompted for a product key, just leave it blank and click Skip. It will still activate, as the system will already be a registered licensed system (from activating the upgrade)

The Windows 7 product key will not work in Windows 10, because it is a Windows 7 key, period.
    Friday, July 31, 2015 2:35 AM
  •  It won't activate. As you were told before, the free upgrade offer was like to like. You get a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro 32-bit to Windows 10 Pro 32-bit. If you want the 64-bit version you will have to buy a 64-bit Windows 10 Pro product key to activate.

Bill

WRONG. You have Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. You have to UPGRADE (NOT clean install) to Win 10 Pro 32-bit to activate the Windows 10 Pro license on that machine. The license is not specific to 32/64-bits. Once the machine is activated, you can then clean install Pro 64-bit. Skip the license.
    Friday, July 31, 2015 2:37 AM
  •   Yes, that should work. As long as he does the like to like upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and gets it activated he should then be able to do the 64-bit install.

Bill

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:07 AM
  • Hello Aby

To the best of my knowledge it is not possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit .

Currently microsoft provide the offer to use 90 days free trial version with product key that contain all the features although with the help of this key you can change any category to Enterprise .

Do one thing use this key and upgrade your window 7 to win 10 might be it will helpfull to you atleast for current 3 month .

Or you can Download it and use for 3 month .

Here is the link

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise#download_4138

Regards

Sunny

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:22 AM
  • To install Windows 10 for free on a system that is running a qualifying Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 operating system and to perform a clean installation you must:

1. Perform an upgrade installation of Windows 10 from the qualifying Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 environment. This can be done with the Get Windows 10 icon or with installation media downloaded here.
    2. Activate the upgraded environment, this stores device activation information for Windows 10 in the Windows Store.
    3. Use installation media created at the software download site to perform a clean installation on the system. The activation stored in the Windows Store will be used to validate the install and activate Windows 10.

See:

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Sunday, August 9, 2015 3:13 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:57 PM
  • Hi,

No, you can only in-place upgrade to corresponding Windows 10. It means 32 bit Windows 7 to 32 bit Windows 10, 64 bit Windows 7 to 64 bit Windows 10.

However, if you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows and if you don’t mind performing a clean install of Windows 10 after completing the upgrade, you could upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

If I go this route to get my desktop to a 64-bit system (I just completed the Win7 Pro 32-bit to Win10 Pro 32-bit upgrade), will I have to purchase a product key, or will it recognize my current license that is activated for Windows 10 Pro?
    Sunday, January 10, 2016 6:33 AM
  • You are REQUIRED to perform an upgrade install of Windows 10, the same version that you already have (32-bit to 32-bit, Home to Home, Pro to Pro, etc...)

Once the upgrade is complete, confirm that your Windows 10 is Activated. Once it is activated, you can perform a clean install. In this manner, you can switch between 32-bit and 64-bit editions, however you must still use the same level (Home to Home, Pro to Pro)

You can use the Media Creation Tool to download the 64-bit ISO/USB as well, and use it to perform the clean installation. You WILL be prompted for a product key, just leave it blank and click Skip. It will still activate, as the system will already be a registered licensed system (from activating the upgrade)

The Windows 7 product key will not work in Windows 10, because it is a Windows 7 key, period.

I am trying to do the clean install, but am prevented from doing so.  I have done my Win7 Pro 32-bit to Win10 Pro 32-bit upgrade, and can see that it is activated.  I used the Media Creation Tool to download and burn a 64-bit ISO to a DVD.  However, when I click setup.exe, I get a dialog box saying "This app can't run on your PC.  To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

• I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 5000+  at 2.6GHz, x64-based processor (this should handle a 64-bit OS, correct?)
    • Currently running 2GB of RAM (want to get up to 8 once I get a 64-bit OS)
    • Windows 10 Pro 32-bit, version 1511, OS build 10586.36

So, what am I doing wrong that it won't start a clean install from the disk that I just made?

Sunday, January 10, 2016 8:15 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but are you still having this problem? The problem may lie in what type of 64 bit ISO you burned.
    Friday, June 10, 2016 4:09 AM
  • it did not do a like to like for my system, I had windows 7 quad 64 and it installed as a 32 bit processor
    Monday, July 25, 2016 11:00 PM