none
unable to select folders for backup, only entire volumes RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 2010

I'm sure this is an obvious one.

Hi

I'm trying to select a single folder for backup on one of our servers. The server is a physical server - windows 2008.

With some servers, I'm able to select individual folders, but on other servers I'm only able to select the entire volume and there is no plus sign available for me to expand the selection on the volume.  So in short, I can back up the entire C: drive, but cannot expand this to select specific folders.

Can someone please explain why this is, please?

Thanks

loads.

<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:47 PM

Answers

• Hi AL,

You should verify if your protected server is already protected with a file protection group ?

File is protected at volume level, there can be only one protection group to protect file on the same volume. Unless you are using mounting point.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

• Marked as answer by Al- Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:57 PM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi AL,

You should verify if your protected server is already protected with a file protection group ?

File is protected at volume level, there can be only one protection group to protect file on the same volume. Unless you are using mounting point.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

• Marked as answer by Al- Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:57 PM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Ah,<o:p></o:p>

You're right. It was a Virtual file cluster. This existed in another protection group. Even though the file cluster is virtual, it had external storage attached via ISCSI. <o:p></o:p>

The clustered virtual servers are in a Hyper V protection group, which backs up the OS, and the attached ISCSI storage couldn’t be backed up using this method.

Therefore, the ISCSI storage drives were being protected in another protection group but only the shares were being selected, as a workaround to not wanting to select the entire drives.

I wanted to know why I couldn't select the folders without selecting them via a share, but you’ve answered this.

Thanks loads

• Edited by Al- Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:57 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:56 PM