none
Don't want DPM to ever mark tapes as offsite ready or stop writting to a tape RRS feed

• Question

• How do I tell DPM that I want it to keep writing to a tape until it is full? (only overwriting data that has expired).

I rotate my tapes all at once (16 LTO5 tapes at a time) and don't like having to contend with individual tapes being rotated each day. I have set the registry value of TapeExpiryTolerance to 100 and the tapewriteperiodration to .9. Is this the correct procedure?

I basically want DPM to just keep writing to a tape until it is full. (I'm wasting several TB per tape because it isn't). Then when a backup expires - overwrite it.

Seems simple but getting DPM to behave is a nightmare.

bottom line - write until the tape is full - then move onto the next tape. Go back and overwrite as data expires.

Monday, October 10, 2011 6:00 PM

Answers

• I entered all the data as I was prompted for it - nothing happens, no errors, and nothing changes.

here is my live example:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> C:\scripts\force_free_tape.ps1
    DPM server name: : dpm1
    Hewlett Packard 1x8 G2 autoloader  (x64 based)
    Library name (cut & paste from above): : Hewlett Packard 1x8 G2 autoloader  (x64 based)
    Tape location: : 2
    Processing this slot list...
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>

After all of this nothing changes for the tape in slot 2. all the data is still there with a future expiration date...

EDIT:

I figured it out. you have to type slot-2 when identifying the slot, not just the number 2.

• Edited by ZackinMA Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZackinMA Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:17 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to have tape co-location enabled first before those parameters are honored: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399230.aspx

What is the retention period you have defined for the long term tape protection ?   DPM will not overwrite a full tape until all recovery points on that tape expire, so if you have a retention period of 6 months, and we don't fill the tape until after 3 months, then you cannot reclaim that tape for a total of 9 months, so there are tradeoffs to having to fill a tape before marking offsite ready.

I have shared a spreadsheet to help calculate offsite ready at the following site:

http://cid-885774776d4f197a.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/tape-offsite-ready-calculator.zip

FYI - DPM 2012 now in beta has GUI options to make this much easier to configure. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 10:26 PM
  • I have 2 retention periods set. One is a daily backup with a retention of 2 weeks. The other is a weekly backup with a retention of 8 weeks. I wasn't aware that DPM won't overwrite a tape until ALL backups on that tape expire. That will certainly make my life a bit more difficult in planning this. Particularly since DPM doesn't allow me to choose which specific tape a backup goes to. (or specify specific sets of tapes, etc. like backup exec allows)

I do understand I can specify different retention ranges to control this in a haphazard way but this is not ideal. It still doesn't allow me to control which tapes get which jobs so I can insure they can be overwritten at a later time of my choosing. At this point I don't think there is a solution for that except to hope for a much better tape management system in DPM 2012.

So it sounds like my settings will work in the way I want, but will introduce another problem in that tapes won't be overwritten in the manner I want them to. Frustrating!

I'll have to reconsider my recovery model. Is there a way to erase tapes without stopping protection of the group? I tried the script here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2007/09/04/cli-script-force-mark-tape-as-free.aspx but that just seems to mark the tapes as free - but i still can't erase them to start fresh. (i'm really still in the testing phase this point)

FYI: I was aware tape data co-location was required and it is enabled.

EDIT:

Actually i ran the script and it just doers't appear to have worked at all. All the tapes still contain data with an expiration date in the future. :-( Very frustrating! Maybe this script just doesn't work in DPM 2010?

• Edited by ZackinMA Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

The tape management report is your very best friend to look into the future to see what tapes are expired and can be placed back in the library.

When you ran the script, did you specify:  SLOT-#

Here is live example:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> tapefree.ps1 lc2-dpmlib
    IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device-5
    IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device-4
    IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device
    Sun/StorageTek Library
    IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device-2
    IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device-3
    Library name (cut & paste from above): : Sun/StorageTek Library
    Tape location: : slot-3
    slot-3
    The operation will remove the following recovery point(s) because they have dependencies on each other:

Datasource '41D43BFA-484A-4FC3-85CC-ACB69E015634' on computer whitso-server.test.com:

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:14:12 PM
    The operation will remove the following recovery point(s) because they have dependencies on each other:

Datasource '2DA6CCEA-7A82-42F1-948B-7816919E660D' on computer whitso-server.test.com:
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:26:06 AM

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:39 PM
  • I entered all the data as I was prompted for it - nothing happens, no errors, and nothing changes.

here is my live example:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> C:\scripts\force_free_tape.ps1
    DPM server name: : dpm1
    Hewlett Packard 1x8 G2 autoloader  (x64 based)
    Library name (cut & paste from above): : Hewlett Packard 1x8 G2 autoloader  (x64 based)
    Tape location: : 2

After all of this nothing changes for the tape in slot 2. all the data is still there with a future expiration date...

EDIT:

I figured it out. you have to type slot-2 when identifying the slot, not just the number 2.

• Edited by ZackinMA Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZackinMA Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:17 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:14 PM