vista backup external HDD semaphore timeout error RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been using a western digital 320GB MyBook external HDD with my HP PC VISTA Home Premium machine for several months as the backup location for Backup and Restore.  Backups used to occasionally fail with error 80070079 Semaphore Timeout period expired.  backup always fails now with the same error.  I tried using Norton 360 backup and it ran for hours and hours (unrealistic since my internal drive is less than 300GB), so I stopped it.  I ran diagnostics on the WD drive: all OK.  I can access the external HDD via file explorer with no problem (once VISTA finally recognizes that I have plugged it in).  No huge files on the source drive (all files much less than 2 GB).

Since the external HDD I/O is slow when moving a lot of data with either backup application, I suspect the USB set-up on the PC might be the problem, but don't know what to try next.  Device manager shows an abundance of USB devices installed (built in card readers + USB ports + other USB peripherals, some having their own card readers as well).  I tried to deinstall and redetect USB controllers, hubs and peripherals: no help.

Anyone else seeing occasional I/O choking with external drives and VISTA ?

Saturday, January 5, 2008 9:55 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Based on my experience, error 80070079 is very possibly caused by bad connectivity between host and external device.

As you connected the external HDD via USB port, I highly recommend you to update the drivers of BIOS and chipset and check the issue again.

If the problem persists, please let me know the system information. That is helpful for further troubleshooting. Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 7, 2008 10:40 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Based on my experience, error 80070079 is very possibly caused by bad connectivity between host and external device.

As you connected the external HDD via USB port, I highly recommend you to update the drivers of BIOS and chipset and check the issue again.

If the problem persists, please let me know the system information. That is helpful for further troubleshooting. Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 7, 2008 10:40 AM
  • I'll check the BIO and  chipset drivers and let you know the result. Thanks

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:56 PM
  •  

Hi there,

I am getting the exact same issue with both external and internal sata drives.  This never use to happen, my system used to back up just fine then one day I went to backup and suddenly at about 55% I get the 080070079 error semaphore time out!

Did anyone find a solution or explanation for this issue?

I have freshly reinstalled Vista 64 again but it is still doing it, my next objective is to reinstall (again, sigh) and this time try the backup prior to windows installing any updates as I have a feeling this started happening after an update, as other than that my system remains unchanged.

Any assistance or advice as to the cause or remedy to this issue would be appreciated.

Monday, August 18, 2008 12:24 PM
  • Hello,

I also suspect the same issue from an update. The last update I ran was Windows desktop search v4.0. After the install and subsequent restart, the system worked up to par. Once the system was idle, I suspect the indexing began and somehow the root drive became corrupted. I can view the file structure on one of the partitions, the OS partition. Whenever I try to transfer any large files...>10MB, a semaphore timout occurs.

I am currently trying to determine the extent of the damage. Right now, 1 partition is corrupt as the volume is reported as a RAW volume. The OS partition FAT is sufficient enough to populate the folder tree, but transfer is a different issue. I believe the issue is related to the MBR or partition table, but I have limited tools to go further. Can I increase the timeout period via a registry change?

Aby ideas on good recovery tools for the MBR or partion table? This drive is 1 TB, primary partitioned to 4 volumes.

Thanks in advance for any input...

Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:09 AM