none
security group not showing in RosP

Question

• It is strange that some security groups not showing when I ran gpupdate /force and gpresult /R. So I created a new test security group which did not show either when ran gpresult /R after I made sure to replicate both domain controllers. We are running Windows 2008 R2 active directory. 

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!!!

Monday, March 6, 2017 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Please make sure that the account you are using are member of those security groups which is not showing.
    You could try to use whoami /groups command to see which member of group the user is.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by L14507 Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:28 PM
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Please make sure that the account you are using are member of those security groups which is not showing.
    You could try to use whoami /groups command to see which member of group the user is.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by L14507 Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:28 PM
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:24 AM
  • yes I did verify that I am the member of the security group. And I typed "whoami /groups" and the output does not show the security group I am in either. Is it possible that the security group got corrupted somehow because when I was looking at the properties of a folder>security tab, this security has a question mark on it. It seems unknown. What could cause that?

Again thank you very much for your response.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:40 PM
  • Hi

what do you mean by security group not showing up ? Where does it not show up and what is configured as the setting. Could you explain more briefly ?

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 9:38 PM
  • I figured out why one of the groups is not working because it is a distribution group. Based on what I read, distribution group can not be used on file permission. I did not realize that until now because we just migrated from Novell workshop to Microsoft workshop. In novell environment, mail group and user group can be both used to set file permission. So that is a huge difference. I learned!
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:06 PM
  • Hi,
    Great share and update, could you help to mark it as answer? It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question. Appreciate for your feedback.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:37 AM