BranchCache troubleshooting documents are missing something RRS feed

• Question

• 

BranchCache troubleshooting

I have a 2012r2 domain and trying to get a 2012r2 BranchCache hosted-cache server to work properly, and multiple enterprise clients(Win10 and Win7) never show why they are not working.  The server cache did increase, but I cannot ever verify anything on the clients and I am using multiple clients and flushing their cache, etc.  I have scanned all through the logs of everything, but here are the steps I have performed.

1.        File-server(2012r2 cluster) – Installed both BranchCache for Network files role and BranchCache feature on both nodes.  On shared folder enabled the Offline files to “Only the Files that Users specify are available offline” and selected Enabled BranchCache beneath that.  Added a regkey on both cluster nodes to make sure hashes are the same.  Firewall disabled

1.        BranchCache hosted-server(2012r2) –  Installed internal certificate for web services on port 443 and made sure enhanced key usage was good for server authentication and using internal certificate that has trusted path the clients trust all the way up.  The subject name of the certificate matches the FQDN of the server, but is in x.500 format using CN=wbbranchcache.costoso.com.  Installed BranchCache services and configured it for hosted-cache server. Firewall disabled.

1.        Clients(Win7) – Made sure clients are Enterprise.  Tried on both Win7 Enterprise and Win10 Enterprise and failed everywhere.  Made sure clients are in the correct AD site and can ping BranchCache server, have the policy for the correct BranchCache server(specified server with 0 for latency threshold), have the peerdistsvc service running, cleared transparent cache(offline files are disabled on client), netsh branchcache flush, and have perfmon counter for BranchCache->Retrieval Bytes from Cache->never shows anything. Firewall disabled.

Dave

• Edited by DaveBryan37 Friday, September 15, 2017 9:07 PM
    Friday, September 15, 2017 9:04 PM

Answers

• Hi DaveBryan,

You mean you  disable Offline Files when using BranchCache?

If so, please enable to do a check. And please refer to the article below.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows/q-can-i-disable-offline-files-when-using-branchcache

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DaveBryan37 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:18 PM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Could you please follow the step below to make sure all your configuration are right.

And keep monitoring if anything wrong in the event viewer.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2013/05/13/step-by-step-enabling-branchcache-in-microsoft-windows-server-2012/

https://mizitechinfo.wordpress.com/2014/12/30/step-by-step-deploy-configure-branchcache-in-windows-server-2012-r2/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 18, 2017 3:04 AM
  • I am starting to think my problem is with perfmon not reporting on my clients?  I was able to get a perfmon to show some content coming in from BranchCache, once.  I have rebooted my 3 clients and tried flushing branchcache and enabling/disabling offline files and my clients almost always show 0 for both Retrieval: bytes from server and 0 for Retreival: Bytes from Cache.   Any ideas why I get the screenshot below, and flush cache and disable offline files and reboot and everything stays at 0 when opening the same files across the network?

Reboot with branchcache flushed, and offline files disabled, MS Office flushed - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Delete-your-Office-Document-Cache-b1d3765e-d71b-4bb8-99ca-acd22c42995d -  and open same network files and everything stays at zero

Dave

• Edited by DaveBryan37 Monday, September 18, 2017 6:04 PM
    Monday, September 18, 2017 5:29 PM
  • Hi DaveBryan,

You mean you  disable Offline Files when using BranchCache?

If so, please enable to do a check. And please refer to the article below.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows/q-can-i-disable-offline-files-when-using-branchcache

Best Regards,

Mary

• Marked as answer by DaveBryan37 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:18 PM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:59 AM
  • Thanks for that response as I had not seen that anywhere and thought that since the files were cached on a hosted-cache server, you might not need it on the client.  I had been trying with offline files off and on, but now I have them on.  I just retested and still having the same problem.  I opened the same file across 3 identical computers and only one used cache.  The other 2 show zeroes across the board for all BranchCache counters, including a zero for "Retrieval: Bytes From Server"  and one of them opened the file last(after hashes+content were established on confirmed caching on client 2).  I am still playing around with it, but tough dialing it in 100% as most of the time perfmon never shows any counters increasing.

Dave

• Edited by DaveBryan37 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:49 PM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:48 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Please set the Service Start Type of BranchCache service to Automatic. And check if the thread discussed before could be helpful.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/26b5edda-d24f-4401-824d-d96b8d2b2d9d/cant-get-branchcache-to-work-distributed-mode?forum=windowsserver2008r2branchoffice

If it is still no clue. I suggest you may need to consider to open a case from Microsoft so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

Best Regards,

Mary

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:51 AM
  • Alright - I had it working on 3 clients and perfmon kept reading zero, but here is what I did. I had kept trying with enabling offline folders, but the combination of multiple factors kept leading to is failing 95% of the time.

1. The BranchCache service was running on manual and that might be fine, but I changed it to automatic

2. I enabled Offline folders and also added that to the group policy

3. I deleted the Offline folders cache from Start->Microsoft Office->Office 2013 Upload Center

4. I deleted the Offline folders cache from Sync Center inside Control Panel

After doing those 3 steps, I confirmed that all 3 clients were caching the content.

Dave

• Edited by DaveBryan37 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:14 PM