Keep (remember) horizontal startscreen position when returning to startscreen RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

in my startscreen I have many apps. Now when I start an app at the right of my startscreen I scroll there and start the app. If I now close the app or press the Start button I am back at the startscreen, but not at my previous position. I am at the left side of the startscreen again. Should I not be at the horizontal position I was before? I often want to start an app directly beside or near the app I started before.

Thank you.

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:53 PM

All replies

• You may want to consider rearranging tiles on the Start Screen so that your most commonly used titles are located on the left side.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:52 AM
  • Hi Carey,

I know the possibilities of rearanging the tiles, grouping, etc. but that is not what I meant.

On my Surface RT I can have three rows with apps. Now I have created Groups of apps belonging together. For example "Standard", "Games", "News", "Newspaper", Produktivity" etc.

For example. I start a newspaper app (scroll to the right and open the app) If I now want to open an other newspaper app I press the Start Button, but I am not at my previous horizontal offset. I have to scroll to the right again.

It is not such a big thing, but by pressing "Start" I often think that it would be better to be at that horizontal position on my start screen where I left it before. Maybe I would think vice versa if that would be the case.

Tobsel

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:29 PM
  • I totally agree with you, Tobsel.

When you have installed over 200 apps, it will be a disaster if you want to open adjacent apps one after another. I prefer to group apps in their own categories. I don't like to put most commonly used apps on the left side, it will make apps hard to find. Or what if all my 200 apps are my favorites?

I don't understand why Microsoft choose not to remember scrolling position of Start screen. At least an option should be provided.

I think iOS is better in this situation.

BTW, iOS/iPad is better in many other aspects. For example, iPad got a standalone Mute button, and when you press and hold Volume Down button, the volume will goes down rapidly. On the contrary, my Surface RT doesn't have a mute button, and pressing and holding Volume Down button will not make the volume goes to 0 immediately, you have to press Volume Down many times or hold a longer time (than iPad) to mute.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 3:07 PM