none
How to configure a hybrid work network to open everybody's drives and files RRS feed

• Question

• My question is in the above title.   I have network set up and can see all the devices but cannot open files and folders on other computers running windows 7.   I have set sharing for all drives to "everyone" named the User (admin) the same on all computers.  Not using passwords.  Yes to network discovery.  Done a lot of sweating but now quite frustrating.   Time to ask for help after studying the web for days....actually off and on for months.    I do appreciate your help.   Thank you very much,

Gene F. (

• Edited by minerstwo Monday, July 1, 2019 5:20 PM
    Sunday, June 30, 2019 9:29 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in this forum.

Please edit your post to remove your personal contact. This is a public forum, please delete your private information in order to avoid unexpected trouble. In addition, the forum does not provide email support services.

What is the current problem? Can you describe it in more detail? What's the error message?

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 1, 2019 9:53 AM
  • Try my computer/Manage Network drives...Plus Remote pc access needs editing.R.click my computer/properties/Advanced/remote settings tab...Also,Windows Firewall/exceptions/chk the box(s) for remote...
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:00 AM
  • Kindly follow these steps

1. Disable Firewall from Control Panel -- Windows Firewall -- Advance Settings -- Windows Defender Firewall Properties -- here turn off all the three (Domain, Private, Public) profile Firewall state to OFF -- Apply -- OK.

2. Now try to ping any two machines in your network

3. If pinging then try to browse the network drives from Run \\192.168.1.10\c$, you should be able to open the C drive of the other PC (192.168.1.10) else you will be prompted for password.

4. If you receive any error then you need to assign all the users a user name and password, this password will be required to enter when you try to access the other PC.

5. If you are unable to ping any two machines in your network then there is some problem in your network settings or you have a physical firewall.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking the current situation of your problem.
    Please let us know if you would like further help.

Best regards,
    Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 15, 2019 7:05 AM