none
Outlook 2016 - folders missing in folder pane and inbox keeps moving around

Question

• This is a little strange. I'm not sure if anyone us has this problem. We are using Office 365, Outlook 2016. I have user having issues with his folders showing up in the folder pane. I'm able to see the directory, but I won't see the folders until i actually hover over them, then they will all appear. Restarting Outlook doesn't seem to resolve the issue nor a repair. I don't want to remove his profile and recreate it. That would be the very last step. His Inbox also keeps moving around. Like I said, this is an odd one. We use autodiscover and mapi to connect to exchange. Any thoughts. TIA!
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:22 PM

All replies

• Hi katherineruru05,

Could you please share some screenshots to elaborate what you mean by "folders showing up in the folder pane" and "Inbox also keeps moving around" then we can help you better? You may share the images via OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and paste a link here.

Besides, please try starting Outlook from the command line using the /ResetFolders switch( Press Win + R, type "outlook /resetfolders", press enter.) and check if there will be any improvement.

It is also suggested to try starting Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type "outlook /safe", press Enter.) and see the result.

Any findings, please post back at ease.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 7, 2017 9:55 AM

• if folders are irregularly moving around > right click on root folder in outlook > sort sub folders A to Z

MCSA Office 365 | MCSA Exchange server 2010 | Red Hat Certified Engineer

Friday, April 7, 2017 10:13 AM
  • I have the same issue in Outlook 2016 365 edition.  Happening on two different computers.  I checked for updates and it downloaded an Outlook update but the problem remains.  The folder pane is present but shows nothing but a white background until hovered over with the mouse cursor.   As the cursor passes over, the folder names show up and remain.  This seems to happen randomly when Outlook in minimized and the screen times out and turns off.

I can't believe more people have not reported this.  In my case one computer is a Lenovo and the other a Dell.  Both running Windows 10.  Have different graphics cards and drivers.  One thing they do share is that they are both high resolution displays.  The Lenovo is capable of 3840x2160 although I am running it at 1920x1080.

Sunday, May 14, 2017 6:36 PM
  • Save Issue here
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:24 PM
  • Same issue. The folders in the list just all of a sudden disappear until I run my cursor over them and I can see them again minus the unread count. 

Have run Office repair and PST Repair and the issue keeps coming back no rhyme or reason.

This started AFTER installing the latest WIN10 Pro version 1703 update.

• Edited by KeithTD Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:52 PM
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:25 PM
  • Same issue.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:02 PM
  • I have the same issue on 64-bit Office 365. Whenever I pull up the Outlook application from it's minimized state all of my folders in the pane on the left hand side of the screen are not present until I hover my mouse cursor over them. The numbers showing unread items in those folders are still present however.
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:07 PM
  • I am also experimenting the same issue. I also think this has started recently, after the latest Windows 10 updates.

I am using Office 2016 on Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Daniel

Saturday, May 27, 2017 12:08 PM
  • Same analysis .... same symptom
    Wednesday, May 31, 2017 6:51 PM
  • Surface Pro 4- Outlook 2016 - recently updated OS to Win 10 Anniversary editions. Same condition.
    Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:06 PM
  • Same issue.

Outlook 2016 (Office 365 latest version, Current channel: Version 1704 (Build 8067.2115))

Local Exchange server 2013, CU15 (Version 15.0 ‎(Build 1263.5))

Windows 10 Enterprise version 1703 (Also happens to users on other versions)

This happens to many of our users, and has been happening for at least a month.

I would guess its not something people report at first, but since this happens every day and many times a day users are now getting really annoyed with this "feature"

Thursday, June 1, 2017 11:16 AM
  • This seems to be a new bug.  I was able to use the following workaround.

File > Options > Advanced

Under Display 

Check - Disable Hardware Acceleration.

• Proposed as answer by Kenneth981 Friday, June 2, 2017 1:10 PM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 2:25 PM
  • Same issue.  Will try the hardware acceleration fix below but this only started in the past month or so.  More of an annoyance than anything
    Friday, June 2, 2017 12:53 PM
  • Disable Hardware Acceleration seems to have fixed the problem for me.

My guess is that somehow the default setting for this was changed sometime the last couple of months.

I recommend setting this in gpo for all office applications:

In the office1x.admx file in Group Policy, go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Microsoft Office 201x > Miscellaneous Enable the Do not use hardware graphics acceleration setting.

Friday, June 2, 2017 1:15 PM
  • Here is an image (edited to remove any personal info) of my Outlook 2016 home page (Office 365 Home subscription) showing the missing folders in the folders pane on the left hand side:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApV9KvaY7vuSj8dJxjoFiWzG3ZhhdA

OS is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 1703 (OS Build 15063.332)
    • Edited by avant-guvnor Monday, June 5, 2017 3:51 PM added OS version
    Monday, June 5, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Same issue. 
    Friday, June 9, 2017 2:02 PM
  • This solution in a workaround.  This works perfectly for the known defect.
    Friday, June 9, 2017 2:29 PM
  • I'm having the same problem as Joe Programmer. It's annoying but not debilitating. My big complaint is that my rules don't run when messages are received like in Outlook 2010. So, I have installed a macro from the web that does this manually.
    Friday, June 16, 2017 2:42 PM
  • I have the same issue and I had already disabled my Hardware acceleration when I had this same problem a couple of years ago. the problem came back in the last month.

Now its come back and I do not know what to do. I have a Dell XPS 27 with a high resolution monitor and it uses both a NVidia card and intel integrated graphics card. i have tried both settings and I still have the problem

Monday, June 19, 2017 10:16 AM
  • On opening my Outlook 2016 (subscriber to Office 365 and Outlook exchange through Telstra Business Apps – 2 subscriptions) on the Dell desktop PC (Windows 10 with all latest updates) to day I noticed that the “Files” Folder and the multiple sub-folders have all disappeared.  As I needed to respond to an email located in one of these sub-folders I started the Lenovo notebook (also Windows 10 with latest updates) and watched the "Files" folder and all the sub-folders disappear before my eyes.   I then logged into the Office 365 Outlook web app and the folders are no longer accessible via the web app either.

How do I resolve this issue please?

Derek

Sunday, December 17, 2017 10:39 AM
  • We just had two users where this folder disappeared in Outlook/OWA. The content could still be searched but their "Files" folder was removed from the folder tree in Outlook and OWA. Based on our research it appears that "Files" is a reserved system folder name (or recently became one) and an update or ..something.. instructed Outlook to hide it. Took some digging with MFCMAPI to find the content and move it to a different location with an different name to get it to show back up. MS support was not terribly helpful in tracking this down.
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 6:04 PM
  • Thanks for the help Jestin!  Just had the same thing happen to one of my users.  The folder was named "Files" and now is a reserved system folder in Office 365 Pro Click-to-Run.  This just happened after the December 2017 Office update.  I followed the KB 2992093 default-folder-is-missing-in-outlook-and-outlook-on-the-web

Thursday, December 28, 2017 6:10 PM
  • Telstra & Microsoft via a logmein help session went through the suggested KB 2992093 procedure on one of the affected Outlook 2016 PC's without resolution on 22/12/2017. 

On the 27th they referred me to office 365 Service Health "EX 126202 - Folders not appearing" posted on 08/12/2017 - details below - i.e. no Microsoft fix until 03/01/2018 at the earliest!!

Your affected users:
    Service degradation
    User impact:
    Users may be unable to view certain folders they've created.
    Latest message:
    Title: Folders not appearing User Impact: Users may be unable to view certain folders they've created. More info: This issue only affects certain user-created folders. Such folders will be hidden to the user, but items saved within them are accessible through search. Admins can identify an affected mailbox via the following PowerShell command. If the output counts do not match, then the mailbox is affected and you should contact Support for additional assistance: Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -Identity (email address) | Where-Object -Property FolderType -eq "Files" | f t FolderType, ItemsInFolder, ItemsInFolderAndSubfolders Current status: We're developing tooling to automatically detect and fix folders in this state by moving the files to a proper location. We anticipate that it will take us several weeks to develop, test, deploy, and then run the tool across all affected environments. While we're focused on remediation, if you've confirmed that you have users affected by this issue you may contact Support for assistance in restoring access to the hidden files. Scope of impact: A very limited number of customers and users appear to be impacted. Start time: Friday, December 8, 2017, at 2:55 PM UTC Preliminary root cause: The DefaultFolderType.Files folder is a system resource that was not intended to contain user-created files and folders. A code issue caused some user-created folders to be moved under this parent folder, which resulted in those sub-folders and their contents being hidden from view. Next update by: Wednesday, January 3, 2018, at 1:00 PM UTC

Derek

Friday, December 29, 2017 2:42 AM
  • THANKS! I had the same problem (black folders until mouse hovered over them and then they followed the mouse and were revealed). Your solution worked second time around, when I copied your reset language (with its space between the words).

Voila! The darkness disappeared, and there was light!

Many thanks!

Glenn Ashton

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:31 PM
  • This seems to have fixed the problem for me.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:35 PM
  • Sad to say that our services are still impacted and Telstra/Microsoft for some time continued to next week then next week.  Now it is next month.  Lost count of the number of times Microsoft Help via messenger have said "we get it", "we are sorry", "We will refer it to the escalation team".  Would have to be the most unprofessional experience that I have had in the last 320 years or so.

EX126202 - Folders not appearing
    Your affected users:
    Restoring service
    User impact:
    Users may be unable to view certain folders they've created.
    Latest message:
    Title: Folders not appearing User Impact: Users may be unable to view certain folders they've created. More info: This is an incremental update to provide the latest status on the issue. Current status: Our automated scan & fix process is continuing to detect affected mailboxes and queue remediation as described previously. We anticipate that this process will have addressed all affected folders by Thursday, March 15, 2018. If you've confirmed that you have users affected by this issue and desire immediate recovery, you may contact Support for assistance in restoring access to the hidden files. For complete details on this event, please reference the post from 6:17 PM UTC on February 7, 2018. Next update by: Thursday, March 15, 2018, at 7:00 PM UTC
    Updated:
    2018-02-27 18:12 (UTC)
    Start time:
    2017-12-08 14:55 (UTC)
    Rate the accuracy and usefulness of information in this post:  

Derek

• Edited by DCGSyd Tuesday, February 27, 2018 11:25 PM
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 10:31 PM
  • Can report that folders are now back after a delay of a few days under three months - such a speedy response from Microsoft and Telstra!!

Derek

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:42 AM
  • I'm not sure if this is related, but I had the same problem but I was just being silly - My folders were "Hidden"; and if anyone else has this issue they can unhide it by going to:

View Tab > "Folder Pane" > Clicking "Normal"

Monday, October 15, 2018 8:27 AM