FTP in Windows 2012 Failover Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Understand that Windows 2012 is having much improved Failover Clustering features,however i have faced issues when i configured FTP in Windows 2012 Failover Cluster.

1) As per the process configured the shared disk for FTP data path.

2)Installaed FTP feature in both Nodes of Clustert

3)Finally created the Generic Service in Cluster Roles for FTP Service.

After the configuration i found everything working fine but when i try to failover the FTP role found that FTP resource is not moving smoothly. Also i observed that Microsoft FTP service gets in to "starting" mode in the destination Node. To run the FTP resource Microsft FTP service should be in Started mode.

This happens only when we try to failover else it works fine if you start freshly.

Have any one tried this? Any clue about such issue ?

Regards:Mahesh

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 7:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

On each cluster node, copy the script to Windows\System32\inetsrv\Clusftp7.vbs.

You can copy the script at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974603

In cluster configuration, click Configure a Service or Application. A wizard creates the high availability workload. Click Generic Script. Select the script file from the following path: %systemroot%\System32\Inetsrv\Clusftp7.vbs

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In earlier versions of Internet Information Services, Microsoft provided generic resource monitor components to support high availability Web server instances by using the Microsoft Clustering infrastructure. However, custom code was needed to fully realize the potential of this solution. Also, the generic scripts that Microsoft provided did not satisfy customer needs.

From IIS 7 to configure IIS in a clustered environment by using Windows Server failover clustering, you have to use a custom (scripting) code to enable such a high availability scenario.

Note:

We recommend that administrators carefully evaluate the use of Network Load Balancing (NLB) instead of using failover clustering as the primary and preferred method for improving the scalability and availability of Web applications that have multiple servers that are running new IIS (from IIS 7) . One benefit of NLB is that all servers can actively participate in the concurrent handling of incoming HTTP requests. Another benefit is that in an NLB IIS environment, it can be much easier to support rolling updates and rollbacks while still providing high availability of Web applications.

To configure high availability for IIS FTP servers using Failover Clustering:

• Install the Web Server role on all cluster nodes.
    • Install the Failover Clustering feature on all cluster nodes and create the cluster.
    • Set up a file share that will be used for IIS shared configuration
    • Configure the IIS shared configuration on all cluster nodes
    • Configure Offline Files for IIS Shared Configuration on all cluster nodes
    • Configure the FTP site and specify the location of its content on one cluster node
    • Configure high availability for your FTP site by creating a generic script in Failover Cluster Manager

For more detailed configuration procedure please refer to following MS articles:

Note: I didn’t find IIS 8 in Windows Server 2012 failover cluster configuration guide, below guide was published for II 7 in Windows server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2, but its basis configuration procedures should also apply to Windows Server 2012.

How to configure FTP 7.5 for IIS 7.0 in a Windows Server 2008 failover cluster
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974603
    Configure IIS Network Load Balancing
    http://www.iis.net/learn/web-hosting/configuring-servers-in-the-windows-web-platform/network-load-balancing
    Deploying IIS on a Failover Cluster
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2009/06/01/9674799.aspx

Hope this helps!

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:50 AM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for your revert.

I have done the IIS based FTP configuration in Cluster in Windows 2003 OS which is through Generic script where yiu need to point to the vbs script avaialble in System32 but in Windows 2012 there is no such script. We have to configure as Generic Service.

I agreed with procedure which you referred for Windows 2008/R2 but i am trying to explore in Windows 2012.

Regards:Mahesh

Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

On each cluster node, copy the script to Windows\System32\inetsrv\Clusftp7.vbs.

You can copy the script at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974603

In cluster configuration, click Configure a Service or Application. A wizard creates the high availability workload. Click Generic Script. Select the script file from the following path: %systemroot%\System32\Inetsrv\Clusftp7.vbs

Hope this helps!

Lawrence

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Lawrence,

is there a reason why should we go with that vbs script instead of simply selecting "Microsoft FTP Service" after choosing "General Service" when adding a new HA role in my Server 2012 FCM...?

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:41 PM