none
PWA Tasks update Error: "This list is currently being managed by Project Web App, and cannot be edited directly" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Project member is unable to edit the project task progress and she is getting error 'This list is currently being managed by Project Web App, and cannot be edited directly' when trying to update the project. Found another post with same issue but I couldn't understand the explanation as all our project are setup in the right way (Project Online is functional for more than a Year) and members were able to update their tasks till last Friday. 

The only major change I did last week was to update the 'Project Schedule Template' as it still showing my old colleague name as Project Manager and I needed it to be changed to my name. After that I saved and published it but the version for 'Project Schedule Template' is still showing as 'Working' if this is anyway related to the above error,.

Any help is appreciated as tasks updates needs to be done immediately.

Monday, July 10, 2017 4:18 PM

Answers

• Mangaiah,

the 'Tasks' list on the Project Site, is synced with Project Schedule, and in this scenario cannot be edited directly.

This option is turned off by default in project Online. My guess is that the option got turned on somehow.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Tune-Project-Online-performance-12ba0ebd-c616-42e5-b9b6-cad570e8409c

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Monday, July 10, 2017 4:33 PM

All replies

• P.S. Project permissions are all checked and everything looks fine.
    Monday, July 10, 2017 4:20 PM
  • Mangaiah,

the 'Tasks' list on the Project Site, is synced with Project Schedule, and in this scenario cannot be edited directly.

This option is turned off by default in project Online. My guess is that the option got turned on somehow.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Tune-Project-Online-performance-12ba0ebd-c616-42e5-b9b6-cad570e8409c

Cheers,

Monday, July 10, 2017 4:33 PM
  • I see that 'Sync SharePoint Tasks Lists' is on for the Project EPT we use for projects in Run mode.

I took over from previous admin only 2 months back and not sure what was configured before.

So, If users need to edit their tasks, this feature should be turned off right?

I wonder why it got turned on.

Monday, July 10, 2017 4:41 PM
  • Ideally, if you are using project scheudles, then that is where they should be updating the tasks. If you are not using project schedule, and are using only SharePoint Task lists, then yes, you should turn that off.

Cheers,

Monday, July 10, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Now I think I understood about this. Thanks for your help.

Monday, July 10, 2017 6:59 PM