Windows 2019 server running WSUS - synch with upstream server RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed a Windows 2019 server and installed the WSUS feature (2/20/2019 10 AM EST). It is configured as a replica (downstream server) of an existing Windows 2018 WSUS server - no other WUSU servers are in the domain. The synchronization has completed. Both servers are using WID. I see the groups under Computers - all groups synched over - I select a Status of "Any" on all groups but no computers are listed in the groups. Is this expected behavior? I checked event viewer - no errors logged.

I checked LogFiles \ SoftwareDistribution -  (click "log file here") it does list some SQL errors but I'm not sure if its relevant - rest of log lists successful processes. 

Thanks, 

Milty

log file here

milty60

I am also trying to view reports in WSUS - I receive a msg to install MS Report Viewer 2012 redistributable - when I attempt to install it - I get a msg to install Microsoft system CLR Types for SQL server 2012 - this appears to be a part of a SQL feature pack. Trying to find correct feature pack. Any of you guys seen this group of errors? 
    • Edited by milten Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:26 PM updated issues
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Milty,

This sounds feasible, but I have not actually done so. In any case, make sure the new server has an update source and make sure you have a backup before proceeding.

For your reference, I have noticed this technical article, the steps mentioned in it are basically the same as yours, but the steps to replace the upstream server on the downstream server are different:
    Migrating WSUS from one Server to another

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic Lv

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by milten Monday, February 25, 2019 1:13 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2019 5:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Milty, 

It is a pleasure to answer your question.

For the first question, in the centralized management mode, the computer group membership is not distributed throughout the replica group, only the computer groups themselves. In other words, the downstream WSUS server will not synchronize the upstream WSUS client.

In summary, we need to manually assign the client computer served by the replica WSUS server. Please change the WSUS server address in the GPO URL to point the client to the new WSUS server.

For the second question, using WSUS's reporting capabilities requires support for the following preconditions:

• Microsoft Report Viewer 2012 Redistributable
    • Microsoft System CLR Types for SQL Server 2012 (Download link)

Please follow the instructions given by the system to complete the installation.

Regards,
    Yic Lv

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 21, 2019 5:29 AM
  • Yic, 

Appreciate all the info. My thinking following the Replica/synch was to shutdown my current upstream server. Rename the (New) downstream server with the old WSUS server name and change the IP address to the old WSUS server. I assume the "New" WSUS would then automatically become the upstream server. Furthermore I thought, I then would not need to alter any GPO's because the clients would not see any change - Same WSUS host name and same IP address. 

I would do this after hours on a Friday night because I understand that client PC's may peg their CPU re-syncing updates with WSUS.

So, do you think the above is a workable best practice and the current empty computer groups will be repopulated? 

Also, I installed the CLR software per your download link, and then installed Report Viewer but I receive the same error. Please see link for screenshot of error. 

Click here for screenshot

Thanks, 

Milty 

milty60

Thursday, February 21, 2019 1:33 PM
  • Yic, 

I was able to resolve the Report Viewer issue - there is an identical named SQL CLR software installer file out in the wild - I DL it from another post and it works. 

I am still looking for advice on the first part of my post. 

Thanks, 

Milty 

milty60

Thursday, February 21, 2019 8:54 PM
  • Hi Milty,

This sounds feasible, but I have not actually done so. In any case, make sure the new server has an update source and make sure you have a backup before proceeding.

For your reference, I have noticed this technical article, the steps mentioned in it are basically the same as yours, but the steps to replace the upstream server on the downstream server are different:
    Migrating WSUS from one Server to another

Regards,
    Yic Lv

• Marked as answer by milten Monday, February 25, 2019 1:13 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2019 5:17 AM