Constant Reset Server Node error on server cleanup RRS feed

• Question

• When I go to run the WSUS server cleanup wizard, I keep getting a "Reset Server Node" error when trying to run the "Unused updates and update revisions" option.

I do the "unneeded update files" "expired updates" and "superseded options" together and they run fine. It's just the "unused updates and update revisions" option that gets maybe 20% done and then the reset node error comes up.

This is a Windows 2012R2 server running WSUS 6.3.9600.18228

The text of the error is this:

"The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS server database.

Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

The statement has been terminated. Source.Net SqlClient Data ProviderStack Trace: at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke

(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke (Delegate method, Object[] args

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Wizards.ServerCleanup.ServerCleanupWizard.OnCleanupComplete(Object sender, PerformCleanupCompletedEventArgs e)

Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Oh, one thing I should have noted; the database being used in this environment is the Windows internal database
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Hi PaulGreene,

1. Check if you have installed KB3159706 while haven't done manual steps;

2. Please check if reindex WSUS database could help:

On WSUS 2012 R2, we may use the following method to reindex WSUS database:

1).Download and install the following tools:

Microsoft Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36433

ODBC driver 11 for SQL:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36434

2). In CMD, direct to SQLCMD.exe path using command:

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\110\Tools\Binn

3). Cope the script and store it locally:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61#content

4). In CMD, run the following command:

SQLCMD -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query -i <script location>

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 7, 2016 5:27 AM
  • Great tip!  I have been looking for this script and directions FOREVER.  I did have to reboot the server to have it come back on line.

Another tip I learned a long time ago.  If you have the Server Reset Node error try running the clean up with only the bottom checkbox checked.  Assuming it runs clean... Run clean up again with only the next one up in the checkbox list checked.  Do this for each clean up step.  I have had it be successful.  Once you run each separately you can run them all checked without issue.

• Proposed as answer by iNetSkyWay Friday, October 7, 2016 2:05 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2016 2:05 PM
  • Actually, I had been using that script, and I had done the manual steps for the post install of KB3159706.

Just for the grins, I did both over again. The server cleanup did run until the end but the maintenance script has the same error, from both before and after the cleanup. The only thing different was I noticed you added the -E switch to the beginning of the sqlcmd statement, so that was included this time.

this is the content of the maintenance script error:

Executing: ALTER INDEX [nc_LocalUpdateID] ON [dbo].[ivwApiUpdateRevision] REBUILD WITH (FILLFACTOR = 90)

Msg 1934, Level 16, State 1, Server <hostname>\MICROSOFT##WID, Line1

ALTER INDEX failed because the following SET options have incorrect settings: 'QUOTED_IDENTIFIER'. Verify that SET options are correct for use with indexed views and/or indexes on computed columns and/or filtered indexes and/or query notifications and/or XML data type methods and/or spatial index operations

Friday, October 7, 2016 4:10 PM
  • Hi PaulGreene,

>ALTER INDEX failed because the following SET options have incorrect settings: 'QUOTED_IDENTIFIER'. Verify that SET options are correct for use with indexed views and/or indexes on computed columns and/or filtered indexes and/or query notifications and/or XML data type methods and/or spatial index operations

Pity that I do not familiar with such error message.

As an attempt, please try increasing the Private Memory Limit of WSUS pool in IIS, check if it could help. You may change the value to "0" (no limit) to check the result. Welcome to feed back the result.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 9:12 AM
  • Anne,

I made your suggested change. The server cleanup wizard did seem to run somewhat quicker. I was also watching task manager as it was running and the biggest resource hog by far was the "SQL Server Windows NT - 64 bit" process, using 3 gigs of memory (8 gigs total on the machine) and 50% CPU

Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:06 PM
  • Hi PaulGreene,

>The server cleanup wizard did seem to run somewhat quicker. I was also watching task manager as it was running and the biggest resource hog by far was the "SQL Server Windows NT - 64 bit" process, using 3 gigs of memory (8 gigs total on the machine) and 50% CPU

Is the WSUS console won't stuck when you run ServerCleanupWizard? If so, seems you original issue is solved.

If the progress occupy high CPU, it might due to multiple things need to be cleaned. It's recommended to Run SCW and reindex WSUS database frequently as a regular maintenance, you may do it weekly or monthly.

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, October 14, 2016 2:02 AM