Crashing System coincidence? RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this can even be answered but just yesterday, I lost my 3rd computer due to a hard drive crash. It started about 3 months ago when my Dell Tower crashed a hard drive (hard drive confirmed to be damaged) and on attemtping to re-install I lost access to all drives (sata) and was told the motherboard and the sata controller were bad. Last month my Toshiba Sattilite lost it's hard drive and now yesterday, my HP Pavilion Laptop lost it's hard drive.

I am ordering new hard drives for both laptops but almost fear that they will end up being like the Dell Desktop. The thought came to me last night that it just so happens that these three units all had the Windows Home Premium FAMILY PACK Upgrade installed on them. My HP Desktop and my Sony Vaio Laptop are still running with no issues (running strong).  The laptop has XP and the HP Desktop came pre-installed with Windows 7. All computers were linked on a home network.

No virus was ever detected and the only thing I could think of that has anythign in common with all three machines is the Windows 7 Upgrade Family Pack. Is it possible? Could that disk have caused this? It just seems weird that they all decided to crash the hard drive and only those 3 of the networked 5. Could just be a coincidence but I thought I would ask to see if anyone has heard of any similar stories or know how this could happen other than a virus? (eve the possibility of the hardware having to work twice as hard for the OS?) 

Thanks,  Blake

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I recommend  you contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, December 3, 2010 7:42 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:28 AM