none
Possibility of having one plan in two different containers. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello dear people...

We are trying to understand the possibility to use one project plan in 2 different containers for a new project we are starting up.

My collegue found the following info : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/plans-within-plans-master-projects-and-subprojects-HA010379395.aspx

On page two the following is stated : The same project file can be used as a subproject in different master projects to customize the information displayed.

To be sure i tried to test it myself, so created a PP inserted it into a container, and when trying to insert the same PP into a second container i got the following warining window : The project that you are trying to insert is a sub project in other projects and may prevent the current project from being published.

Can somebody give me instructions on how to deal with this.

Kind regards, Roderick };^>

Friday, November 16, 2012 1:46 PM

All replies

• Dag Roderick,

I this case "published" is a term used in Project Server. Are you in project server environment? If not, ignore the message.

Groeten,

Friday, November 16, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Hallo Jan...

Sorry for the late reply, been business tripping around...;)

Yes, you are correct, we are working on a Sharepoint Server environment.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Hi Roderick,

I know little about Project Server, and nothing at all on Sharepoint. If it is Project Server, I don't think there is a solution, but you can check on the Project Server forum - this one is specifically for the desktop version. If it's only a sharepoint question - well, I'm not going to guess :-(

Greetings,

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Hallo Jan..

Tx for the quick reply.

Indeed...i think i am better off putting this question the Project Server Forum.

Kind regards

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:41 PM
  • Hi Roderick,

This specific article is related to Project 2010 (client). So its true in that context. However as you have noticed when you insert project as subproject from project server, in the backend project type is changed which restricts adding same sub project plan into another.

To be clear about the statement pay attention highlighted words

The same project file can be used as a subproject in different master projects  to customize the information displayed.

Same project file is referred as mpp file.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:00 PM