none
Autoforwarded email - reply to original sender

Question

• Hello,

So, Exchange Online does not support for an Office 365 Group to be a member of a DL. A pity, since they are pushing us to use these...

- I tried working around this by using a Mail Contact as placeholder for the Group (a Mail Contact is allowed to be a member of DL). This partly worked (mail landed in Group - but was not sent to subscribers of the Group). PSS would not help me with this as it was not supported.

- PSS told me about a customer who had used shared mailboxes as placeholder for each O365 Group. Meaning we have to create one shared mailbox per O365 Group - and set autoforward on each of these.

Currently investigating the shared mailbox scenario.

My question/scenario is like this:

- I send an email to shared mailbox

- Shared mailbox forwards email to Group

- Email lands in Group

- Email is distributed to Subscribers of Group

All good.. for now.

But when user wants to reply to email - then the shared mailbox appears in the "To" field - looking as if the email was originally sent from that address. Which is not correct.. it was sent from me (original sender). I know that this is probably related to the fact that the shared mailbox forwards the email.. 

Is there any way I can force Outlook to reply to original sender? I want to avoid the shared mailbox to be visible... it can potentially make a mess of things - and confuse users.

This scenario is messy, I know.. if you have another workaround for my scenario I would appreciate it very much :)

Regards,

Tom

Monday, July 31, 2017 8:15 AM

Answers

• The workaround I would recommend is to get back to use DGs. Ignore MS marketing that claims Groups are the best thing since sliced bread, they have a lot of limitations (apart from support for nested groups). If good old plain DGs meet your requirements, don't waste time with Groups.

Other than that, you can try forwarding the message via a Transport rule instead (via the "add recipient" action).

Also, the reason why you are seeing the Shared mailbox in the "to" box, is that by default for Groups the "Reply All" action is performed. If you want to use "Reply" instead, press the small dropdown icon on the far right and select "reply", only the original sender address should be added.

• Marked as answer by jneks Wednesday, August 9, 2017 7:36 AM
    Monday, July 31, 2017 6:53 PM

All replies

• Just curious, in order to avoid shared mailbox to be visible and not confuse users, Why don't you send email directly to Distribution Group? Am I missing something?
    Monday, July 31, 2017 3:41 PM
  • The workaround I would recommend is to get back to use DGs. Ignore MS marketing that claims Groups are the best thing since sliced bread, they have a lot of limitations (apart from support for nested groups). If good old plain DGs meet your requirements, don't waste time with Groups.

Other than that, you can try forwarding the message via a Transport rule instead (via the "add recipient" action).

Also, the reason why you are seeing the Shared mailbox in the "to" box, is that by default for Groups the "Reply All" action is performed. If you want to use "Reply" instead, press the small dropdown icon on the far right and select "reply", only the original sender address should be added.

• Marked as answer by jneks Wednesday, August 9, 2017 7:36 AM
    Monday, July 31, 2017 6:53 PM
  • Hi,

How do you configure "auto-forwarding" to forward message from shared mailbox to Group?

Based on my experience, the sender will be changed if use inbox rule to forward message to other person, thus "shared mailbox" will display in "To" field if you reply this forwarding message.

However, we can use "ForwardingAddress" or "ForwardingSMTPAddress" on this shared mailbox to forward message to Group. To do so, the original sender will display as "From", and it will not be changed.

More information about its behavior, for your reference: Exchange and Office 365: Mail Forwarding.

Best Regards,

Manu Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 11:12 AM
  • Thanks!

The "reply all"/"reply" explained it very well.

Our company has unfortunately started using Groups as a core factor in a special "email collaboration thing".. I guess if we knew how early it was we would have reconsidered...

Hoping that soon Microsoft will deploy possibility for nested groups.

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/286611-office-365-groups/suggestions/10114956-be-able-to-nest-groups-like-distribution-groups

Thanks all!

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 7:40 AM