Word 2007 Non-Breaking Hyphens Spell Check Issue RRS feed

• Question

• One of our users pointed out that when spell checking a Word document containing non-breaking hyphens (ctrl+shift+hyphen), Word highlights the entire word as being misspelled.  So for instance hyphenated words like ‘Top‑Notch’, ‘Fine‑Tune’, ‘Know‑How’ are all highlighted with the red-squiggly underline.  Under normal circumstances they would just click 'Ignore All' but that doesn't work - clicking the button does nothing - however 'Ignore Once' does.

I did some searching & found two KB articles that address issues with hyphens and spellchecker:

After installing the updates and re-running spell check, it no longer highlights the entire word; Instead is just highlights the word after the hyphen.  So using the same examples as above, only 'notch', 'tune' and 'how' are underlined.  And as before, 'Ignore All' doesn't work but 'Ignore Once' does.

Am I missing a patch/update/hotfix?

Is there still an outstanding issue with hyphens (or certain types of hyphens) and spellchecker?

• Edited by JuliusPIV Monday, June 17, 2013 8:04 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2013 2:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Julian,

This is indeed a known problem when it comes to Word 2007 and Nonbreaking spaces and nonbreaking hyphens.

We have to do with workarounds in this case like you can use Find & Replace to replace the nonbreaking hyphen with something else, run your spellcheck and Ignore All of your replacement text, then Find & Replace to change it back (using ^~ in Replace With) and also create Macros which would make this routine easier.          

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:45 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Julius,

This is a quick note to let you know that I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:56 AM
  • Hi Julian,

This is indeed a known problem when it comes to Word 2007 and Nonbreaking spaces and nonbreaking hyphens.

We have to do with workarounds in this case like you can use Find & Replace to replace the nonbreaking hyphen with something else, run your spellcheck and Ignore All of your replacement text, then Find & Replace to change it back (using ^~ in Replace With) and also create Macros which would make this routine easier.          

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:45 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Hi Julius,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Max Meng

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

I've marked the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Max Meng

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:45 AM