Sequencing Framework + Sage 100 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am trying to sequence Sage 100 Suite (contains multiple elements such as accounting, billing, ...)
    The elements (modules ?) as sequenced correctly and fully functionnals.
    My problem is that Sage 100 Suite contains some sort of Web interface as main portal to access these "modules"
    (some sort of .dsk in fact) which needs to use Framework 2.0.
    But this .Dsk cannot be executed because it seems the Sage package is unable to "use" the Framework installed locally
    on the client computer.
    After removing Framework 2.0 from the Sequencer, I tried to sequence a new package (in this order) : Framework 2.0 + SQL client +
    Sage 100 Suite elements (stopping monitoring between each elements) and imported this new package on my Softgrid Server.

I made some tests on two Softgrid clients, to execute this .dsk :
    - one without Framework 2.0 installed ==> doesn't find the Framework in the package to use it, something as "Framework can't be launched"
    - one with Framework 2.0 already installed locally =>> sometimes an error message such as "processhost_call failed" (about Framework), sometimes
    the Web Interface launch almost correctly but donesn't contains the modules...

Have you already meet this issue ? Have you any idea to solve it or find a new solution to launch correctly this web interface (.dsk), especially to solve this
    Framework issue ?

Many thanks and Best Regards

LVIALLET
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:14 AM

Answers

• Interestingly, there apparently has been some changes with CU1 towards .NET Sequencing (quoting from release notes):

.NET compatibility changes

Microsoft Application Virtualization Cumulative Update 1 supports sequencing the .NET Framework on Windows XP (SP2 or later). Sequencing routines for .NET applications that were written for SoftGrid 4.2 might need to be updated when used with the App-V 4.5 Sequencer. For details and workarounds, please refer to the Knowledge Base article at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=123412.

The thing is, referred article on the Microsoft's website doesn't mention any of this. And from the wording I understand it's XP only, not applying to newer Windowses?

br,
    Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:28 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,

As I understand it .dsk is simple a web-application that will utilize the components that the installer places down.
    Can you verify the IE is started within the virtual-environment?

/Znack
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

Are you sure that the SAGE installer doesn't drop any .NET runtime files into the package even when you explicitly don't install it?

Reason I ask is that starting with App-V 4.5, .NET Framework is no longer supported as something you can package due to some architectural changes in App-V client itself..

br,
    Kalle
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:24 AM
  • Hello Ksaunam

Yes, it seems you are  right about the .NET in the Sage package. However, when installing it during sequencing, it seems Sage doesn't
    use it at all.
    My package test seems however to be succesful, because when installing .NET + SQL Native Client + Sage applications, .NET is included
    in the Softgrid Bubble (we can see some .Dll and other files related to .NET in the package.
    Moreover, when testing the package on a App-V client, and the ProcXP tool from sysinternals, we are able to see a DLL from .NET
    to be  use directly from the App-V Bubble.

More test are to be executed... So wait and see.
    If anyone has some clue about .NET sequencing (and Sage sequencing of course)

Best Regards

LVI
    Friday, April 17, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

regarding .Net the "easy" answer is: do not virtualize it with App-V 4.5; rather install the required version(s) locally on the Sequencer and Clients.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959524
    http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/appvirtualization/dd146065(en-us).aspx

When your applications require Dot.Net, make sure not only Versions and Servicepacks, but also Language Files and their Updates are the same on the Sequencer and all Clients.

In earlier versions of SoftGrid, MS/Softricity have not explicitely forbidden to sequence .Net...

Falko
    Friday, April 17, 2009 1:39 PM
  • Interestingly, there apparently has been some changes with CU1 towards .NET Sequencing (quoting from release notes):

.NET compatibility changes

Microsoft Application Virtualization Cumulative Update 1 supports sequencing the .NET Framework on Windows XP (SP2 or later). Sequencing routines for .NET applications that were written for SoftGrid 4.2 might need to be updated when used with the App-V 4.5 Sequencer. For details and workarounds, please refer to the Knowledge Base article at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=123412.

The thing is, referred article on the Microsoft's website doesn't mention any of this. And from the wording I understand it's XP only, not applying to newer Windowses?

br,
    Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:28 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:13 AM
  • Hello,

How has this gone? Have you gotten it to work?

Anything captured under CSIDL_SYSTEM?

(sometimes I deletet anything under CSIDL_SYSTEM\Microsoft.NET or \WinSxS)

/Znack
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Hello LVIALLET,

I recently ran into virtualizing SAGE 100 Comptabilite, i7 - I think it is written poorly as lots of ACCESS DENIED get reported on HKLM & Programdata paths, but let's skip this.

I think it cannot be supported in APP-V because at runtime, the main process (maestria.exe) calls csc.exe which calls cvtres.exe - both executables from .NET Framework 2.0

These being said, I am very sceptic that this app could be virtualized.

Vasile.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:00 PM