none
Windows 10 will not connect to SBS 2011

Question

• Upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7.  Did a clean install since I had some file issues.  Prior to upgrade PC was connected to the domain.  Now I cannot join the domain but can see the files on the server.  Problem is that the current setup takes a very long time to load.  Any ideas as to possible solutions?

I also tried to join the domain from the control panel in the windows 10 machine but it will not find the domain. 

Another machine that I just did the upgrade on, keeping the old files, is part of the domain.

• Edited by Chef Badger Monday, August 17, 2015 11:57 PM
    Monday, August 17, 2015 11:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For SBS 2011 Standard, you can install Connector on Windows 10 and connect to SBS network. For SBS 2011 Essentials, there are known issues and some function might not function. You may try to change the XML file on the server and then install connector on Windows 10 and confirm the result.

As official document - Supported operating systems for client computers – mentioned that, Windows 10 is not displayed as supported OS by SBS 2011 Essentials:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/supported-operating-systems-1.aspx

besides, for the domain join from control panel/system problem, run nslookup, and verify that the machine can reach the DNS server.  Ensure that the correct DNS server is specified and you have connectivity to that server. Make sure you configured right preferred DNS IP in client, which one is the domain controller IP.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 24, 2015 7:58 AM

All replies

• http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2015/07/23/client-connector-availability-with-windows-home-server-small-business-server-and-windows-server-essentials-for-supported-client-os.aspx

Hi:

the connector for SBS 2011 must be installed on Windows 10  It is about half way down in the above link.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 12:26 AM
  • Already tried it.  It does not find the server and if I try to give it the ip address it crashes.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 1:07 AM
  • According to the aforementioned Technet article, you don't need the Client Connector - just make the changes as noted in appendix A?
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:35 AM
  • Yeah... not enough caffeine.  You can go with that.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 11:09 AM
  • hy, any news on joining new upgraded win 10 to sbs2011? added appendix a, but still no GO!
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 3:57 PM
  • Hi,

For SBS 2011 Standard, you can install Connector on Windows 10 and connect to SBS network. For SBS 2011 Essentials, there are known issues and some function might not function. You may try to change the XML file on the server and then install connector on Windows 10 and confirm the result.

As official document - Supported operating systems for client computers – mentioned that, Windows 10 is not displayed as supported OS by SBS 2011 Essentials:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/supported-operating-systems-1.aspx

besides, for the domain join from control panel/system problem, run nslookup, and verify that the machine can reach the DNS server.  Ensure that the correct DNS server is specified and you have connectivity to that server. Make sure you configured right preferred DNS IP in client, which one is the domain controller IP.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 24, 2015 7:58 AM
  • That's not the Answer.  The truth is that Microsoft is abandoning SBS for a cloud based solution (that's why WIN 10 was free).  They have had several months to correct this issue, and a reseller and partner I am upset that they would leave us out in the cold.  All the hype about window 10 caused my client to want to switch and each that has done so with an upgrade from window 7 has worked fine, but those with a clean install like your are screwed.   I can my (windows 10) machines on SBS 2xxx and get mail, etc.  but no one can see the server to map drives.

MICROSOFT NEED TO FIX THIS NOW!!!!  THERE ARE MILLIONS OF USERS OF SBS AND THEY ALL FACE THE SAME PROBLEM.  FIX IT!!

Dick Patton

Sunday, March 27, 2016 4:49 PM
  • THIS MAKE NO DIFFERENCE TO THE SERVER.  YOU ARE ADDING A SUPPORTED OS BUT THE SERVER STILL DOES NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY!

Dick Patton

Sunday, March 27, 2016 4:52 PM
  • I have done all of that, and the workstations are indeed connected to the correct DNS server and and domain, BUT we still cannot connect see SBS2011 in the "network neighborhood".

Dick Patton

Sunday, March 27, 2016 4:56 PM
  • I just purchased a Dell Windows 10 laptop and updated it to 1607 and then to the latest build using Microsoft Updates. I joined it to SBS 2011 Standard network using the normal http://connect and downloading the launcher.exe and running it. I've made no changes to SBS and it worked as it always does when joining a Windows 7 computer. It is joined to the domain and I see the server and mapped drives along with network printers installed.

Rick Faria / RDF Technical Services, LLC / SBSC

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 11:44 PM
  • Older post but maybe still worth a response for folks still dealing with SBS2011, we had no issues using the connector (http://connnect ) to connect all our window 10 machines, was no diff than 7, you guys were maybe over thinking it (turn off your firewall to connect then turn it back on, that's what we had to do, make sure you also have the right .net installed), but i'm sure by now you've move on hopefully to a better OS, SBS 2011 prob one of the worst yet. Unresponsive, company web and remote access constantly go down with no warning or reason, and if you lucky a reboot brings them back up (typically the SBS freezes up to the point it won't reboot, so you have to force it).  We have some of the fastest drives out their setup on a raid 5 and the thing crawls to a halt just clicking on the start button, junk, my company pays me to fix MS issues more than they pay me to do my real job.  MS doesn't admit or fess up to anything either, they act like you're the one that's causing the issue even though everyone experience the same BS. O yea don't exceed 2T memory either or the back won't run.  

• Edited by Joshari Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:36 PM
  • The SBS 2011 servers I had were running just fine, never had issues with them. But it is time to move on. Soon Windows Server 2008 will run out of support so it is now time to migrate.

How long will Microsoft continue to support SBS 2011 or SBS 2008?

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: How to migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2019 Standard, Datacenter or Essentials and How to migrate SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2019 Standard, Datacenter or Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 25, 2019 7:34 AM