none
rename 365 sharepoint default domain domain.sharepoint.com to new.sharepoint.com

Question

• When taking out a 365 subscription, you choose a domain name that is then used for SharePoint. is it possible to later change this name to a different domain name without the need to take out a new 365 subscription?

I.e  test.sharepoint.com changed to mydomain.sharepoint.com.

Is this something Microsoft can do for me? I don't want to have to take out a new 365 subscription just for a domain name change.

Regards,

Paul.

Monday, March 28, 2016 6:13 PM

Answers

• Nope, it's not possible to change the domain name. It's in the FAQs somewhere but i can't find a link at the moment.
    • Marked as answer by PCookman Wednesday, August 31, 2016 10:22 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2016 7:15 PM

All replies

• Nope, it's not possible to change the domain name. It's in the FAQs somewhere but i can't find a link at the moment.
    • Marked as answer by PCookman Wednesday, August 31, 2016 10:22 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2016 7:15 PM
  • Actually I think they are allowing this now, for SharePoint at least. But you need to go with support case.
    Monday, March 28, 2016 8:29 PM
  • That's good news, (and a bit of a change) do we have any confirmation of that in any documentation?
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:32 AM
  • Afaik it's not published officially yet, requires you to contact support and request this. Havent used it personally though, so I cannot give more details.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 12:24 PM
  • Just got the word from Microsoft after opening a support case as suggested, this cannot be renamed due to all the other tenants and the complexity around this. I have been advised that I will need to migrate.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:36 PM
  • If that's a response from the frontline agent, ask them to escalate. See what kind of answer you will get from EE, or even better, ask your TAM. As I mentioned above I haven't done this personally, but I have no reason to believe the info provided by fellow MVPs is incorrect.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:54 PM