how do i make OAB generation faster? RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2013 cu4, Windows Server 2008 R2

I have users complain that, since we're using cache mode in Outlook, any new additions to the address book are not being received in a timely manner. how I work around this is to recreate their Outlook profile in order to force a pull request of OAB.

so I did some checking and found the following:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxServer mb02|fl *oab*

OABGeneratorWorkCycle           : 08:00:00
    OABGeneratorWorkCycleCheckpoint : 01:00:00

from what I understood, the above would mean OAB generates every 8 days? this was configured by a vendor when they upgraded us from 2010 to 2013.

will it do any harm if I make the OAB generation to daily?

Sunday, October 25, 2015 12:01 PM

Answers

• Thats actually every 8 hours.

Depending on which server(s) generates the OAB:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/01/14/managing-oab-in-exchange-server-2013.aspx

you can set those servers to any schedule you want, however that only affects how often the OAB is generated.

It isnt related to the clients and how often they will download the OAB. By default, if left open, Outlook will attempt to download the OAB about every 24 hours randomly.

Or users can manually download the OAB or close and re-open Outlook to initiate a download after 5 minutes or so.

There is really no good way to force a scheduled download from the Outlook clients globally.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Sunday, October 25, 2015 12:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mark Gossa Sunday, October 25, 2015 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Reno Mardo Monday, October 26, 2015 6:11 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2015 12:44 PM

All replies

• Thats actually every 8 hours.

Depending on which server(s) generates the OAB:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/01/14/managing-oab-in-exchange-server-2013.aspx

you can set those servers to any schedule you want, however that only affects how often the OAB is generated.

It isnt related to the clients and how often they will download the OAB. By default, if left open, Outlook will attempt to download the OAB about every 24 hours randomly.

Or users can manually download the OAB or close and re-open Outlook to initiate a download after 5 minutes or so.

There is really no good way to force a scheduled download from the Outlook clients globally.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Sunday, October 25, 2015 12:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mark Gossa Sunday, October 25, 2015 8:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Reno Mardo Monday, October 26, 2015 6:11 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2015 12:44 PM
  • Hi,

Please follow Andy's advice. This link provides some helpful background information about configuring the OAB in Outlook: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/841273.

Thanks.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010, MCTS SQL 2012, MCTS SharePoint 2007, VCP4, VCP5, CCNA

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com LinkedIn:

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Sunday, October 25, 2015 8:14 PM
  • informative link. but only appreciated by us admins.

when management only understands in investment value, i understand them. why OAB updates are slow when so much time and money have been invested in Exchange.

Microsoft should find a way to make those changes in Global Address List update faster, say within an hour, regardless without affecting performance of both client and servers.

Monday, October 26, 2015 6:14 AM