FAT32 USB thumb drive not accessible RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single machine that will not access a 2GB FAT32 USB thumb drive.  Works fine with NTFS.  Problem seems to be only with FAT32.

I know that the drive and its FAT32 filesystem are fine as it is accessible on other machines with the same OS without issue.  As well, other FAT32 thumb drives behave the same in all cases.

A drive letter is displayed in Explorer, but when clicking on it the OS asks to format the drive.  If proceeding with the format (in FAT32), is runs its full course then displays a dialog that it failed.  Again, NTFS seems to go fine.

Formatting the USB thumb drive(s) to NTFS as a permanent solution is not an option.

I checked Disk Management and the USB drive filesystem is displayed as RAW.

I have changed the drive letter (as suggested elsewhere) with no success.  I have also attempted reinstalling drivers to no affect.  The problem remains.

The BIOS is current, and there are no BIOS settings that seem to affect the issue.

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Vista Home Premium w/ SP2.  The OS is fully up-to-date.

At this point I suspect something broken in the OS that is not allowing FAT32 filesystems to be recognized.

Assistance is appreciated.

• Edited by Thernlund Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:47 PM

All replies

• Just as a follow up, several passes with SFC and some subsequent reboots seems to have sorted this issue.

-T.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:42 PM