The broken link error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please help me with this broken link error in Office Excel 2010. Thank you.

The problem is: a broken link cannot be removed from the file. The link was used in data validation, which refers to a list of values. After the path was corrected, it still shows there’s a broken link. Here are the details:

I have 4 files named “000TVA_Test – 3”, “000TVA_Test – 4”, “000TVA_Test – 5”, and “000TVA_Test – 6”. The posterior files were developed based on the previous files.

In Test-3, sheet “Template “, cell “L4”, “O4”, “R4”… were built as dropdown list using data validation. The list source is in the “Library” worksheet. There’s no problem so far.

Test-4 was firstly copied from Test-3. In this file I renamed the worksheet from “Library” to “Setting” and the link was broken from here. I can also fix the broken link in this file. (While I didn’t realize there was a broken link.)

In Test-5 I fixed the path, but every time when opening the file, the broken link still shows.

In Test-6 I’ve removed the data validations. The broken link is still there.

I tried to find solutions online. I tried common methods, cannot find anything in the files is still using links. I also tried the “findlink.xla” add-in, but it only worked for Test-4, and couldn’t find the link in other files.

Please help. Thank you!

I uploaded files here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1A97736E0ABBAA41!113&authkey=!AF5wAd9rwUPnYyE&ithint=folder%2cxlsm

Thanks again!

Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my tested the files downloaded, I found that Test-5 & Test-6 included the "A defined name that refers to an external workbook", Test-4 had not. (Please click Formula Tab>Name Manage, you'll see them.)

However, the Break Links command cannot break the following types of links:   
    • A defined name that refers to an external workbook
    • A ListBox control with an input range that refers to an external workbook.
    • A DropDown control with an input range that refers to an external workbook.

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/291984/en-us (It also applies to Excel 2010)

Thus, we'd better try the workaround: re-build the Test-5 & Test 6.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

• Marked as answer by George123345 Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:34 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 8:49 AM

All replies

• Did you try Manvilles Find link utility or an Add-in provided by Microsoft?

Findlink

Fix Broken Links

Hope this helps,

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"

Please vote an answer helpful if they helped. Please mark an answer(s) as an answer when your question is being answered.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:50 PM
  • there are hyperlinks hide in the file.

The only solution what works is that you have to copy each formula of the excel into notepad and then again past back by copying from notepad into excel. This will remove the hidden links within excel

KR

Friday, October 3, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my tested the files downloaded, I found that Test-5 & Test-6 included the "A defined name that refers to an external workbook", Test-4 had not. (Please click Formula Tab>Name Manage, you'll see them.)

However, the Break Links command cannot break the following types of links:   
    • A defined name that refers to an external workbook
    • A ListBox control with an input range that refers to an external workbook.
    • A DropDown control with an input range that refers to an external workbook.

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/291984/en-us (It also applies to Excel 2010)

Thus, we'd better try the workaround: re-build the Test-5 & Test 6.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

• Marked as answer by George123345 Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:34 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 8:49 AM