Run application as admin RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum Members,

I would have a really annoying, but sounds pretty simple problem, which I've been giving up right now since I can not achieve that anyway. In our company there is an old DVR software for playing *.irf files and unfortunately it requires admin mode for itself. Therefore, a normal user can not start it, only if I give administrator permission for him on his desktop.

What I would like to do is put a shortcut for him, which he can use to launch the software in context (run as) of user B, who is a member of the local admin group. The only way I found to do this to create a scheduled task, but it will not be good ever since the software itself launches, but it will never be on user A's (the normal user) desktop, instead it runs hidden.

Do you have any ideas for this to do? I think a lot of administrators have already gone into this problem, but this way it is impossible to solve this.

Thank you a lot for your help,

Best Regards,

Christian

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Christian,

Above all I assume it is OK to share the password of Administrator account to the user. 

You can download Psexec from here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553

And save this command line into a BAT file so that the user could run it directly:

psexec -u <computer\username> -p <password>  "<app location>"

For example psexec -u contoso.com\administrator -p Password@123  "c:\app\app.exe"

If it will not work, test to add -e to see the result. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 5:30 AM
  • Dear Shaon!

Thank you for your help! I logged in to userA (simple user) and executed the following command, where userB is a local administrator account:

psexec.exe -u .\userb -p Password -e C:\elevatedsoftware.exe

But unfortunately I received an Access Denied error and that I need higher privileges than this. When I tried with cmd.exe I saw (whoami) that I'm under userB, but only as a standard user, not when you click "run as administrator", so I've got his normal user UAC token.

Is it possible to run the software as userB, but as administrator? I tried with the -h switch, it Works, but again it opens the application in the background, I simply can not bring it to userA's desktop.

Thank you really much!

Best Regards,

Christian

Thursday, August 13, 2015 11:13 AM