Stuck on sign in screen RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP Slimline desk top running windows 7 home premium 32 bit and recently when I try and type my password after the first letter is typed it goes to the welcome screen and starts going into a loop between the log sign in screen and welcome screen. It does the same thing in safe mode. ??
    Monday, March 12, 2012 1:15 PM

Answers

• Although i'm always usually one for trying to find a fix for every issue for future reference, i think it would be far quciker for yourself to simply back your data up and reload the OS.
    • Proposed as answer by Kim Zhou Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:00 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 1:28 PM

All replies

• Boot to windows 7 cd, go into the recovery enviroment and run startup repair see if this fixes the issues. if not

go into recovery envirmonet again choose command prompt and run

sfc /scannow

If that dosent work let me know

• Marked as answer by Kenjd Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kenjd Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:31 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:52 AM
  • I thought it worked but when I woke my computer when I got home tonight it did the same thing. In fact now it's going from the sign in screen to getting stuck on the welcome screen all by it's self. I tried the command prompt computer went nuts opening multiple command prompt windows till I just had to shut it down... 
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

Let us try to Restore the system in Recovery Console.

If the issue persists, please new account to test the issue.

1. Boot into Recovery Console.

2. Click “Command Prompt”.

3. Add a new user account to local computer via the command:

net user username password /add

For example:

net user John 1234 /add

4. Add user to administrator group via the command:

net localgroup administrator John /add

Note: An administrator account can’t be created directly from command line.  We first need to create a user account and then add the user to the administrators group.

5. Reboot the system, test the issue via the new account.

Best Regards,

Kim Zhou

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:19 AM
  • When I try ans use command prompt after one key stroke multiple command prompt windows open ans flash. So, I can't creat a new account.  
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:50 AM
  • You said earlier you thought it was fixed running startup repair... if you run startup repair again so you can temporarily log on then run a malware / virus scan?

does that pick anything up?

alternatively if you have the tools available you could take your hard drive out mount it as an external drive using a caddie then use another pc to scan the hard drive.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:42 AM
  • I ran the Norton bootable recovery tool and to my surprise nothing was detected. It sure acts like a virus.
    Friday, March 16, 2012 5:03 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, It seems a corrupted system issue , I suggest performing In-place upgradeto fix it.

Best Regards,

Kim Zhou

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Hi, 

so, I tried that and it' acting the same if not worse... 

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Although i'm always usually one for trying to find a fix for every issue for future reference, i think it would be far quciker for yourself to simply back your data up and reload the OS.
    • Proposed as answer by Kim Zhou Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:00 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 1:28 PM
  • I have a HP Slimline desk top running windows 7 home premium 32 bit and recently when I try and type my password after the first letter is typed it goes to the welcome screen and starts going into a loop between the log sign in screen and welcome screen. It does the same thing in safe mode. ??

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 5:16 AM