Winmail.dat problem RRS feed

• Question

•  anytime I send a jpeg thru Office 365 to an I phone

the person does not get the picture

only a winmail.dat that is unopenable ????

why ?

Please help

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:02 PM

All replies

• Hi L J Scamahorn,

According to my research, this usually occurs when the message is sent from Outlook client and the format of the message is Rich Text format (RTF). The Winmail.dat file is used to preserve Rich Text formatting.

Please try sending the message again in HTML format to check the results.

Please check the option in Outlook to set sending HTML format by default to Internet recipients. Go to File > Options > Mail > Message Format.

Besides, what's your account type? There was a known issue where Outlook.com accounts are sending winmail.dat files even though everything is set to use HTML or plain text. This was fixed in build 16.0.8229.2073. To install the fix, go to File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now.

One link here for your reference: Outlook is Sending Winmail.dat Attachments

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, October 25, 2018 8:00 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:33 AM
  • Hi L J Scamahorn,

I'm writing to see if the information above is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 8:00 AM