MDT 2013 Windows 7 Enterprise error while sysprep - "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error." RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

i have a problem with staging Windows 7 Enterprise x86 and x64 version (by the way, Windows 7 Professional x86 and x64 works like a charm). Here are some informations regarding my environment:

• Server:                     Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
    • MDT Version:   Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2013 (6.2.5019.0)
    • Clients:                     Dell Latitude xxxx (error logs and messages in this threat are from an Dell Latitude E7450)

The strange thing is that sometimes the installation works without any problem (about 30%) but mostly the installation fails with following error message while sysprep (so on first reboot after installation):

Install Windows

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

i did a lot of reseach but without any success:

• added patch KMDF-1.11 with dism to the .wim image
    • added patch UMDF-1.11 with dism to the .wim image
    • added patch KMDF-1.11 to "Packages" in MDT
    • added patch UMDF-1.11 to "Packages" in MDT
    • HKLM/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion Setup.exe set to 3 but then sysprep is not completed successfully

If you need  any log-file feel free to ask me about it and i will provide it to you. Due to my account not being verified i have to upload the logs somewhere and send you a link. I hope you can help me with this problem.

Many thanks!

• Edited by GGSAfterburner Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:32 AM Formatting
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:30 AM

All replies

• I suspect your computer crashed, BSOD, try analyzing the memory.dmp files.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:59 PM
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:59 PM
  • Sorry for the delayed reply. The Computer doesn't crash with a BSOD. After the system files are downloaded and the DISM process is done, the computer reboots. At the Step "Setup is applying system settings" the error appears.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:49 PM