Sharepont List - Formula for counting the number of time a text entry occurs within a list RRS feed

• Question

• Formula for counting the number of time a text entry occurs within a list

I have a list title "Test:" and within this list there are text entry of "ABC". I would like to count the number of times that the "ABC" occurs with a calculated list.

I am hoping to compare this number with other calculated list to display a variation between the two list.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:41 PM

Answers

• Hi sdsmith3,

The calculate formula can only calculate for one list item, so the formula cannot count the multiple list items with same content (e.g. "ABC") in one column.

You can use Group By and Totals by clicking Modify this view to achieve the similar requirement.
    1.Select the column which is input the “ABC” (e.g. column named text entry ) from drop-down box “First group by the column” in the Group By section.
    2.Select the value Count behind the text entry column in the Totals section.

Then the list will display grouped content of text entry, and the count number is displayed format like Count=[number].

Thanks

Daniel Yang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi, you want to count entry for each row in the list or entire data. For calculated column need to specify the field for which the formula should be applied.
    Anil
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 7:13 AM
  • Hi sdsmith3,

The calculate formula can only calculate for one list item, so the formula cannot count the multiple list items with same content (e.g. "ABC") in one column.

You can use Group By and Totals by clicking Modify this view to achieve the similar requirement.
    1.Select the column which is input the “ABC” (e.g. column named text entry ) from drop-down box “First group by the column” in the Group By section.
    2.Select the value Count behind the text entry column in the Totals section.

Then the list will display grouped content of text entry, and the count number is displayed format like Count=[number].

Thanks

Daniel Yang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:01 AM