One small question..... RRS feed

• Question

• After I installed Windows 7 in multiboot configuration with Vista I noticed some programs were missing
    shortcuts on the desktop and task bar on the Vista side. Anyone know what happened and how to fix it.
    I tried adding new shortcuts and they appear as if I uninstalled the program. Help is greatly appreciated.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:23 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:28 PM

Answers

• Are you somehow using the same userid (with the same SID)?  This would be true if you are a domain member, or possibly if you upgraded a copy of your Vista installation.

Is C: the drive with Windows on both OS's?  I.e. do the drive letters change when you switch OS's?

You can check this by opening a command prompt on each OS and entering SET in it.  In particular, look at the lines for ProgramFiles, SystemDrive and SystemRoot.  The usual output would include:

ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\Windows

Also take a look at USERPROFILE and Path.  The normal Path line would start with:

Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;

• Proposed as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, October 2, 2009 5:31 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:17 PM

All replies

• Hi ScorpWanna,

Could you please let me know the name of the programs?

In addition, can you run the programs?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 10:12 AM
  • As much i know, how the installation of Win 7 effects the vista's desktop and user profile configuration ?? there is another reason behind your problem......check the log files and you'll get the correct reason. 
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:25 PM
  • After I installed Windows 7 in multiboot configuration with Vista I noticed some programs were missing
    shortcuts on the desktop and task bar on the Vista side. Anyone know what happened and how to fix it.
    I tried adding new shortcuts and they appear as if I uninstalled the program. Help is greatly appreciated.

Did you install Windows 7 on the same partition as Vista?

If you did, the Windows 7 setup would have moved everything to C:\Windows.old.  In Vista, Program Files will be C:\Windows.old\Program Files, and so on.  Shortcuts and applications written correctly, with symbolic paths, would still work.  But any hard coded path in a shortcut or the Registry, will not be functional.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:54 PM
  • No, I installed it on a completely different partition that I created for Windows 7.
    All the programs are also installed on different drives/partitions. Thanks for the
    help.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:40 PM
  • Are you somehow using the same userid (with the same SID)?  This would be true if you are a domain member, or possibly if you upgraded a copy of your Vista installation.

Is C: the drive with Windows on both OS's?  I.e. do the drive letters change when you switch OS's?

You can check this by opening a command prompt on each OS and entering SET in it.  In particular, look at the lines for ProgramFiles, SystemDrive and SystemRoot.  The usual output would include:

ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\Windows

Also take a look at USERPROFILE and Path.  The normal Path line would start with:

Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;

• Proposed as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, October 2, 2009 5:31 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:17 PM