none
Incomplete collection cleaning after updating to ESP5.3 SP4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

We recently updated from ESP 5.3 SP2 to ESP 5.3 SP4 on our staging system.

We also applied the following fixes:

5.3.SP4.Adminserver.patch01
    5.3.SP4.alerting.patch02
    5.3.SP4.crawler.patch01
    5.3.SP4.feeding.patch01
    5.3.SP4.searchengine.patch02

Since then, it looks like we can't clean a collection properly anymore (using the command: indexeradmin -a cleancollection)

We noticed the number of documents shown in Clarity in the "total docs" and the sum of the partitions number of docs weren't synchronized anymore after a cleancollection.

Then, when we searched the collection, we noticed the docs were still there.

The only solution seems to reset the index through the "indexeradmin -a resetindex" command but it takes a while to execute.

Is anybody having the same issue? Are we missing something?

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hi mgrandis,

We are aware that this is an issue for some of our customers on SP4.  We expect this issue to be corrected in 5.3.sp4.searchengine.patch04.  We do not yet have a committed release date for that patch, but it is coming.

Thanks,

Patrick Schneider

Support Escalation Engineer

• Marked as answer by mgrandis Thursday, February 3, 2011 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you tried with bin$ ./collection-admin -m clearcollection -n mycollection?

Félix

Monday, January 17, 2011 10:41 PM
  • I´ve had issues with clearing collections as well, using either indexeradmin or collection-admin. I´m not sure if this relates to SP4 or not since I´ve had it every now and then. I´ve just gone into the habit of expecting collection clearing to work half the time, and then do resetindex if things are screwey.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - MCTS SharePoint/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/ - http://www.comperiosearch.com/
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Hi Félix & Mikael and thanks for your replies,

Félix, I tried your idea and the command never finishes.

It results in a never ending flow of errors: (W=Warning & E=Error)

W - adminserver - systemmsg - Will retry deleting collection 'CollectionName' in 60 seconds. 
    W - adminserver - systemmsg - Exception occured while deleting collection 'CollectionName': Failed to clear collection: processing: Format error (User exception: (12, 'Empty operations set')) when calling subsystem (session 12)
    E - contentdistributor - systemmsg - Processing error: id=15, message=Format error (User exception: (12, 'Empty operations set')) when calling subsystem (session 12) 
    E - contentdistributor - systemmsg - Failed to clear collection, failed in subsystem=processing 
    E - procserver - systemmsg - Format error (User exception: (12, 'Empty operations set')) when calling next subsystem (session 12).

I get these messages on both the development and staging platforms we upgraded to SP4 but also on our SP2 development platform which means we have a deeper problem here.

The documentation for the contentdistributor says we need to contact the Support but I wanted to know if anybody had experienced this before?

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Hi mgrandis,

I believe this is still an issue with the current searchengine patch. Have you tried installing SP4.searchengine.patch03? Currently I am testing the patch but still documents are still left in the index.

Please let me know the results after you install SP4.searchengine.patch03.

Regards,

ken

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Hi mgrandis,

We are aware that this is an issue for some of our customers on SP4.  We expect this issue to be corrected in 5.3.sp4.searchengine.patch04.  We do not yet have a committed release date for that patch, but it is coming.

Thanks,

Patrick Schneider

Support Escalation Engineer

• Marked as answer by mgrandis Thursday, February 3, 2011 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Hi

Were experiencing exactly those problems. And also uses resetindex to get on...  what does resetindex actually do, lets say we have several collections, will any other content be affected ?

And Patrick, we have planned installing SP4 for a customer in about a month, any guesses on the patch reldate ?

/Johan Eriksson

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Hi Johan,

A resetindex completely rebuilds all partitions from the fixml files.  --Normally deleted documents are marked as unavailable, and only the smallest partition is regenerated to add new documents until triggers are met that cause other partitions to be regenerated.

My understanding is that the patch is currently undergoing testing, but the tests aren't far enough along yet for our development team to commit to a release date.  If testing goes well, there is a good chance that it will be released before you are planning to install SP4 for your customer.

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick Schneider | Microsoft | Enterprise Search Group | Support Escalation Engineer | http://www.microsoft.com/enterprisesearch
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Thanks Patrick

Mat

Thursday, February 3, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Thanks Patrick !
    Friday, February 11, 2011 2:51 PM
  • We have updated to this patch and are still having issues running the clearcollection command. Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:30 PM