PDF/ Edge/ Win 10 Photo Viewer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.

I was looking on the Microsoft Support site here for an area in which to submit a helpdesk ticket but didn't see anything.  I work in the IT department of our company (we use the Win 10 OS, plus Windows Server 2012R2).

So to start, does anyone know where to go to to open a helpdesk ticket?

In the meantime, maybe you can help with my issue.

Here at the school where I work in the IT department, we have Windows 10 Pro on the staff’s laptops.

For our Default PDF file viewer, we use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.  Originally, Windows 10 wants to use the Edge browser to be the Default PDF viewer, however, when we go to print that PDF file through Edge, it causes a problem/ error with our Sharp printer; so, we switch it to Adobe Acrobat for the default program.

But, every once in a while, even though we have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC selected as the Default program for PDF files, the Edge browser will somehow “hijack” it and take over again and suddenly it has selected itself as the Default PDF viewer.  (But as I mentioned, PDF files printing through Edge to our Sharp printer causes problems/ errors.)

Can you give some insight into this?

And another item is the Windows 10 Photo Viewer.  In Windows 10/ Control Panel/ Default Programs/ Set Default Programs, there is one called “Photos”: that’s the newest one for Windows 10, correct?  And then there’s one called “Windows Photo Viewer”: isn’t this the “older” one?

The program called “Photos” also seems to cause us issues when printing, so we choose “Windows Photo Viewer” as Default to avoid this.

Can you give some insight into this also?  Thanks for any info; Pez

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:23 PM

All replies

• After the Creators update the OS tries to trick you into giving back file types to their ones.  When you go to open a file type that you have already set the default for it comes up and asks if you are sure? and defaults to their own one, enough to trick the average user into changing it themselves!

The guy in this post may be on to a way to stop MS attempting to hijack extensions

Another removing edge Question

by modifying C:\Windows\System32\OEMDefaultAssociations.xml

Also, you are right, the Photos app is terrible for printing, you don't have enough control and end up with undesired cropping.  I prefer the old one, Windows Photo Viewer myself.
    • Edited by NoneAndOne Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:05 AM
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:38 PM
  • Hi Pez,

We could try to using following registry key to stop Edge from taking the default file association of PDF.

StopEdgeforPDF.reg :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723]

"NoOpenWith"=""

"NoStaticDefaultVerb"=""

If you perfer to create a ticket for printing issue, we could choose the proper service you want to have in the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

Best regards,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Friday, September 29, 2017 2:01 AM
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:55 AM