Setting the sent item as an ItemAttachment to an Undelivered email RRS feed

• Question

• When an undelivered email report comes in, Outlook adds the original sent item as an Item Attachment to the email. Is there any way within Exchange server to do the same thing for a mailbox?
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:13 PM

Answers

• Not that I can think of, you will just get  a DSN or NDR.
    Sukh
    • Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Friday, November 4, 2011 6:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Monday, November 14, 2011 5:19 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Vijay,

Can you please more specify on what you are looking for?

Because i'm bit confused with your question.

Thanks & Regards, Kottees R
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Not that I can think of, you will just get  a DSN or NDR.
    Sukh
    • Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Friday, November 4, 2011 6:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Monday, November 14, 2011 5:19 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:49 PM
  • I was a bit busy working out the details of the problem.

When a NDR is received by Exchange server, Exchange server attaches the original sent item as attachment. There is a tool called MFCMAPI which allows you to explore the contents of the email in exchange server. From the tool, we can see the attachment and the extended property PidHasAttachment. The value of PidTagHasAttachments is true.

If you bind to NDR using Exchange Web Services Managed API SDK, Item.HasAttachment has a value of false. But, if you inspect the Attachments collection, there are attachments to the item or email message.

If you look at Outlook Web Access, the attachment icon is not shown. However, if you open Microsoft Outlook thick client, Outlook does some processing and puts the PidTagProcessed to true. The processing that Outlook does depends on the mailbox options specified: whether the original sent item should be attached to delivery receipts.

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:55 AM