Windows 7 and Arabic Handwriting Recognition on tablet pcs RRS feed

• Question

• Well, I just finished reading this article : "Download a language pack to get handwriting recognition for another language".

Stating that :To recognize your handwriting in a specific language, your Tablet PC must have the handwriting recognizer for that language installed.

Where available, the handwriting recognizers are included in the corresponding Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI). To turn on handwriting recognition for a language, you need to do two things: get the MUI, and then add the input language that you want to use.

There is a list of 25 languages available BUT ARABIC is NOT included !!

Disappointed cos I decided to buy tablet pc w/ windows 7 next november .

It is so frustrating, Microsoft , to pay interrest to a language spoken by only 12 million native speakers or even other one by 6 million and ignoring The ARAB Language which is spoken by 530 million people arround the world ( refering to the wikipedia ) , W/ my great respectfulness to allll people and nationalites.

I think GULF is Enough if microsoft retrieved the statistics of notebook sales in this area.

I hope that ARABIC will be added soon to the language pack to get handwriting recognition in tablet pcs.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Download-a-language-pack-to-get-handwriting-recognition-for-another-language

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding Windows 7 Handwriting Recognition, I would like to share this document with you:

What's New in Handwriting Recognition

I am sorry that Arabic is not included in the supported language list of Windows 7 Handwriting Recognition. We also hope that more and more languages will be supported and you can see that Windows 7 adds 14 additional supported languages.

Your feedback of this feature and your time of testing Windows 7 are highly appreciated! Thanks!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:37 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding Windows 7 Handwriting Recognition, I would like to share this document with you:

What's New in Handwriting Recognition

I am sorry that Arabic is not included in the supported language list of Windows 7 Handwriting Recognition. We also hope that more and more languages will be supported and you can see that Windows 7 adds 14 additional supported languages.

Your feedback of this feature and your time of testing Windows 7 are highly appreciated! Thanks!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:37 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:04 AM
  • Hello,

I would like to express my disappointment as well.

The documentation say that recognition requires the language pack, and i saw no exceptions. So i bought the ultimate version of windows 7. Then i was shocked to see recognition working for Japanese and not for Arabic!! which are the languages i would use recognition for.

Cheers.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Hi

Even it was old comment but I found my way looking for such information on arabic handwriting recognition support from Microsoft.

Any way I do understand the dificulty of arabic handwriting recognition and why it is not published yet , I also think if it was approached diffrently by Microsoft or any devloper then this issue will be solved easly.

So if Microsoft willing to listen to some ideas please contact me ali_menbet@hotmail.com

regrads 

Friday, December 2, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Dear don't be frustrating. The situation is not they ignore arabic language no the problem is it's very hard very hard for them to find a way to recognize arabic cause it's very difficult language with very similar letters and differences may only be in dots and every letter has two or three shape according to it's place in the word

So there is many technology they thinking of to solve this problem not only them but many engineers.

We are very big market and consumers so they can not just ignore us.

Monday, December 23, 2013 8:57 PM