none
Creating views RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having extreme difficulty with MS Project 2010 when I try to create views for specific groups.  I have to do Legal, Compliance, and content reviews with members of my team.  I select the tasks that are pertinent to each group (e.g. Legal reviews for certain documents) and MS Project automatically selects all the Legal reviews in the plan.  Perfect....just what I want.  When I click "Save View" so I can recall these steps, it saves the view with just the "Legal Review" tasks and associated summary tasks.  Perfect...just what I want.  I do the same steps for Compliance and Content.  Then (get ready for this) Legal becomes Compliance, Compliance becomes Content, Content becomes Gantt, and the Gantt chart becomes Legal!!  When I close it out and reopen it, all the views disappear.  I've gone through this process 3 times trying to create these views.  What is going on?  Thanks. 
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Fred,

I assume that you're not working with Project Server, so the views are local and not part of an enterprise model.

It looks like either your MS Project software or your project plan might be corrupted.

• First try to repair MS Project going to the control panel.
    • If it is not working, I'd suggest to use the XML export (method 3) process to repair your file.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:54 PM
  • freddb34 Vertex --

Here is the process you should follow for creating the custom views you have in mind:

1.  Apply the Gantt Chart view or whatever is the base view you want to use to create your three custom views.

2.  Customize the Gantt Chart view to show only the Legal tasks.

3.  On the View ribbon, click the Save View option at the bottom of any view menu, such as at the bottom of the Gantt Chart pick list.

At this point, Microsoft Project 2010 creates a custom view and table in the project, and saves the custom view and table in your Global.mpt file, which is a very good thing, which makes the view and table available for use in any current and future project.

4.  In the Task Views section of the View ribbon, click the Gantt Chart pick list button and reselect the Gantt Chart view.

5.  Click the Gantt Chart pick list button again and select the Reset to Default item to reset the Gantt Chart view back to its original settings.  This is a step that I think you missed.

6.  Repeat steps #2-5 for the other two custom views.

7.  Save the project.

The key here is to remember to reset the Gantt Chart view, or whatever is your base view, back to its default settings before you create your next view.  Please this and let us know if it helps.

By the way, out of curiosity, what method are you using to identify legal tasks, or compliance tasks?  Are you using a custom field in which you can mark those tasks, or are you using cell background formatting, or something else?  Please let us know about that as well and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:54 PM
  • This worked perfectly.  What I am doing to identify the fields for each view is going into the Task Name header column and selecting the first Legal. Compliance, or SEO task that I find.  MS Project will then automatically select all of them in the plan (including the Summary tasks) for the view.  It makes it really easy.  Thanks for the assistance. 
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:32 PM