none
Internet Explorer 10 or 11 won't open RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and when I updated to Internet Explorer 11 when I click on the icon all I get is the swirl for 2 seconds and then nothing.  I removed IE 11 and reverted to IE 10 and the same thing happens.  Google Chrome is working fine. Any suggestions? I have tried it without the add-ons and get the same result.  Nothing else has changed.
    Friday, January 10, 2014 1:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you tried running IE from C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe?

If you still cannot open IE, please attempt to repair or re-install IE. Also, check if there exists related event logs.

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 13, 2014 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Post consumer questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com (Help>Online Support menu from IE).

Include with your question, the full address of any websites you are having issues with. (In your case your homepage address).

From Start>Control panel>action center you can troubleshoot any issues that your computer is experiencing.

At the answers forum you can find answers to common questions. this forum is for IT Professionals (System administrators) who administer computers on a Domain network.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:52 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried running IE from C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe?

If you still cannot open IE, please attempt to repair or re-install IE. Also, check if there exists related event logs.

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 13, 2014 1:30 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with IE11 not opening. You can't repair it because you can't open the program to get at the tools menu. I tried uninstalling but it doesn't completely remove the program when you uncheck the box in the windows section of add or remove software.

I guess I'll just have to use Chrome.

Anybody have any ideas??

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 1:27 AM
  • can't repair it because you can't open the program to get at the tools menu.

Use the Control Panel for that (inetcpl.cpl).  However a good first step for both of you would be to boot in safe mode to see if your symptom reproduces then.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:35 PM
    Answerer
  • I have exact same problem.  Had fully updated Win 7 SP1 system and IE11 would not open.  Reset to to default using MicrosoftFixit50195.msi.  Still would not open.  Uninstalled IE11.  IE10 would not open either.  Uninstalled IE 10 and IE9 worked.  Tried reinstalling IE10..  would not open.  So uninstalled and back to IE9.  

Never a problem with Chrome or Firefox.  I believe problem started with recent windows update, but not sure because I use IE so seldom (only on sites incompatible with Chrome.. a rarity these days).  But some of those sites are ones I need.

Frank

Saturday, February 21, 2015 7:52 AM
  • It started tonight for sure. I have Windows 8.1 64bit with Norton Security from Comcast.
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 7:57 AM
  • back to IE9.  

At what patch level?  E.g. which update does Help, About show you and does msinfo32.exe Loaded Modules show that you have its modules (or better) running?  This suggests that something you have installed is happiest running with reduced security.  Did you try testing IE11 in safe mode?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Guess maybe you got this fixed, but I had the same problem, I went to the uninstall page via the control panel and via "View installed updates I deleted the Internet Explorer update. That reverted me to IE9 which seems to work okay.

I did try to reinstall IE 11 but that again crashed after installing and opening...

My IE11 problems seemed to have started with no significant changes to my system...

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 5:39 PM
  • Same problem started for me on Feb 21, tried the same thing but could only get IE 9  to work.

I had Install updates automatically selected and I think it updated to IE 10, I am now running IE10 (version 10.0.9200.16521) which is working

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:00 PM
  • I had a few Windows 7 computers with the same problem; IE upgraded to 10 or 11, launch Internet Explorer and no window opens; nothing happens.  Watching task manager, iexplore.exe starts and then stops immediately.  Uninstalling back to IE9, then installing IE10 or IE11 provided the same symptoms, even though the installs had no errors.  

At first, we were giving users new profiles.  While that worked, it was a bit extreme.  I finally nailed it down to a registry value for Internet Explorer called OperationalData.  For some reason, the value type was String.  The value type needs to be QWord for IE10/11.  I do not believe Internet Explorer 9 uses the OperationalData value, so I am not sure how it got there or why the type is String.  Regardless, installing IE10 or IE11 should replace the value with the appropriate type.    

I am using the following command line to resolve this issue as it comes up.  Open a command line (CMD) window, elevated as Administrator, then run the following.  This will delete the OperationalData value regardless of the type. 

reg.exe delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main" /v OperationalData /f

Hope that helps!!

Jasen Webster Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Edited by jaylweb Monday, March 30, 2015 2:08 PM Forgot name was in signature. :)
    • Proposed as answer by jaylweb Monday, March 30, 2015 2:09 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 2:08 PM
  • finally nailed it down to a registry value for Internet Explorer called OperationalData.

I wonder what that does?  ProcMon might show whatever and whenever it would be queried, e.g. filtering with Operation Is RegQueryValue.

FWIW I do have that valuename here in IE11 on W8.1.2

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\windows_ie_ac_001\Internet Explorer\Main\\OperationalData=7  (REG_QWORD)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\\OperationalData=5 (REG_QWORD)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\\OperationalData=13

So, was IE9 using that in its String form?  Again, I think ProcMon could help clarify what this is used for.

Thanks for this new information!

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, March 30, 2015 3:42 PM
    Answerer
  • I wonder what that does?

BING is totally useless for this search.  It insists on making it two words.

Google is better but I can't find anything helpful with this search:

"OperationalData" "Internet Explorer"

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, March 30, 2015 3:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Robert,

I too wondered what that reg value was for and came up empty while Google searching.  Based on other Windows 7 computers with Internet Explorer 9, it does not appear the reg value is used.  At least, it did not exist on those PCs.  Why it showed up as a string value on some is a mystery to me.  

Jasen Webster Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 6:08 PM
  • iy can open files exploer
    Monday, October 10, 2016 6:39 PM