CD/DVD drive & CD ROM drive RRS feed

• Question

• I had to replace my Drive "C" hard drive. My O/S is XP sp3.  Everything in my computer works great, except my CD/DVD drive which now can only read commercially produced CDs/DVDs and my CD/ROM drive can not write any data to a CD even though it is enabled and recognized in Device manager.  I have updated the drivers.  I have uninstalled the drivers (both).  MS FIX IT shows my device filters are corrupted so I deleted them.  I have done everything that MS suggested so far.  Nothing helps.  Do I need to reinstall /repair my XP.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:53 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:12 PM

All replies

• i suggest you to install the motherboard drivers once and if you have got any driver CD with CDROM install it.

is it a CDROM ? CD-Writer ? DVD writer ?? can you tell me what exactly you mean by this "except my CD/DVD drive which now can only read commercially produced CDs/DVDs"

i suggest you to go for system restore first. if it doesn't work then repair the OS.

Regards, h9ck3r.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:48 PM
  •  

My computer has 2 CD drives. My CD/DVD drive is a read only drive.  This drive will read any commercially produced CD or DVD.  When I insert one of my data CDs(one that I recorded data to) I just get a message "Please insert CD in drive". The other CD drive is a CD-RW drive which is supposed to read or write data to a CD.  When I insert a CD in this drive I also get the message: "Please insert CD in Drive".   I have uninstalled and Reinstalled the drivers for both of these drives, but it did not help.  When I click on "Properties" for this CD-RW drive "Recording" tab is enabled and the "Enable CD recording on this drive" box is checked.   Maybe this info. will help

Jeff                                

Jeff Sims
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:42 PM
  • what burning software are you using ? seems like its not an issue with the device driver rather the burning software is not properly working.
    Regards, h9ck3r.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:01 AM
  • I use the Windows XP built in software.  I also installed "Roxio Creator 2011", but it did not help.
    Jeff Sims
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:55 PM