WSUS Failing to deliver upgrades to 1703 RRS feed

• Question

• So no answers in any other thread so will ask again. All our machines are failing to do the upgrade to Windows 10 CU 1703. Some points before we proceed, we've tried a lot of suggestions, please read these before suggesting:

• This is happening across all Windows 10 machines on prem. All fail with: (Unable to Find Resource:) ReportingEvent.Client.167; Parameters: Feature update to Windows 10 Pro, version 1703, en-us, Retail
    • We have previously successfully upgraded machines from 1511 to 1607 just fine
    • The WSUS server is delivering all other updates correctly
    • The WSUS server is a recent rebuild, database is clean, cleanup regularly run, server is up to date
    • When I approved the update, I agreed to the EULA like previous upgrades
    • Attempting the update directly from Microsoft (bypass WSUS) works (no weird firewall or client issues)
    • All users, all machines are having the problem

Any ideas? Thank you. 

Curt Kessler - FLC

Friday, May 5, 2017 4:51 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

The below is a similar case for your reference. Some users fixed this issue as shown below.
    So I figured my issue out it was number 2 in this list. Make sure you have added .esd into your IIS.
    1. In Products/Classifications, make sure to check off the Upgrades box or Windows 10 will not be available to deploy.
    2. You also will need to add a MIME type for *.esd as application/octet-stream at the top level in IIS.
      To do this: Open IIS Manager > Select the server name > From the "IIS" section in the centre of IIS Manager, open "MIME Types" > Click "Add…" >
      File Mame Extention: = .esd
      MIME type: application/octet-stream
    https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1983864-windows-10-1703-update-wsus
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

In addition, based on your description, attempting the update directly from Microsoft (bypass WSUS) works. So,  it could be related to your WSUS settings, you could also ask our WSUS forum for help. They are the best resource to help you.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winserverwsus

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 8, 2017 2:51 AM

All replies

• Saturday, May 6, 2017 1:11 AM
  • Hi ,

The below is a similar case for your reference. Some users fixed this issue as shown below.
    So I figured my issue out it was number 2 in this list. Make sure you have added .esd into your IIS.
    1. In Products/Classifications, make sure to check off the Upgrades box or Windows 10 will not be available to deploy.
    2. You also will need to add a MIME type for *.esd as application/octet-stream at the top level in IIS.
      To do this: Open IIS Manager > Select the server name > From the "IIS" section in the centre of IIS Manager, open "MIME Types" > Click "Add…" >
      File Mame Extention: = .esd
      MIME type: application/octet-stream
    https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1983864-windows-10-1703-update-wsus
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

In addition, based on your description, attempting the update directly from Microsoft (bypass WSUS) works. So,  it could be related to your WSUS settings, you could also ask our WSUS forum for help. They are the best resource to help you.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winserverwsus

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 8, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Am trying the .esd fix in IIS. We did this on the last WSUS server, but since the rebuild this was not in there. I am getting some 'different' results with PC's reporting in. No updates yet, but the amount of machines reporting they need the update is going up, so I guess a good sign. Will report findings when I get some. 

Curt Kessler - FLC

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:49 PM
  • So I think that did it, we have had 8 machines grab and install the upgrade, most others show downloaded or pending reboot, so it seems to be fixed! Thank you! 

Curt Kessler - FLC

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Hi ,

Glad to hear that it works for you. Please mark all useful replies an answer to close the case. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions find the helpful information quickly.

Best regards

Thursday, May 11, 2017 1:28 AM