none
Hide the MDT Progress Window RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize if this is a simple or old question but I have had no luck getting this to work. I am running a custom task sequence to do an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but am attempting to allow the user to continue to work during the initial installation, and only force a prompt prior to the reboot. Unfortunately, the MDT progress window sits front and center. Michael Niehaus has what seems to be a very elegant solution documented here https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2010/03/26/hiding-and-showing-the-task-sequence-progress-dialog-box/ but I haven't had any success in applying it. I am starting the task sequence by calling litetouch with the switches to bypass the wizard but despite my attempts to implement the vbs script suggested by Niehaus, the progress window appears throughout the Gather, Validation, Driver Injection and OS Install. Modifying the ReportProgress function in ZTIUtility complete broke the task sequence, and attempting to comment out the calls to the function in LiteTouch and ZTIGather broke things as well. Simply creating a vb script with the code provided by Niehaus and calling it from the task sequence prior to each step didn't work either. I'm at a loss and would appreciate assistance from anyone with experience in doing this.

Thank you,

Erik

Friday, May 11, 2018 1:35 AM

All replies

• I've seen various posts how to do this either via VBS (post by Michael Niehaus) or via PowerShell (fir example this one: https://t3chn1ck.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/hiding-a-task-sequence-progress-ui/).

You could also try modifying ZTIUtility.vbs. From a quick glance at the code, commenting out following lines should still record the progress in the registry without breaking MDT functionality:

' Try to create the progress UI object

On Error Resume Next
    		'Set oProgress = CreateObject("Microsoft.SMS.TSProgressUI")
    		'If Err then
    		'	Err.Clear

' Record the progress in the registry

oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Deployment 4\ProgressPercent", iPercent, "REG_DWORD"
    			oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Deployment 4\ProgressText", sMsg, "REG_SZ"

'	on error goto 0
    		'	Exit Function
    		'End if
    		On Error Goto 0

Mind you, I have not verified the code above, but it might do the trick...

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Friday, May 11, 2018 6:41 AM