Choppy Sound on Vista notebook with SoundMAX audiocard RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Compaq 6715s notebook(I bought it 2-3 months ago).
    The sound of the notebook is choppy,it skips back less than 1 second. All the sounds are choppy including music, video, even windows sounds. Is this a problem with Vista or the drivers? or is it the hardware? I have the latest drivers(2008.03.27). The sound card is 'SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio'. I have vista with SP1 and I use SRS Audio Sandbox to enchance the sound quality.

Another problem is after exactly 6h50mins the sound gets stuck in a 1 second place and keeps repeating(hangs) it forever so i have to restart the comp. I know the exact time because i can start task manager with Ctrl+Alt Del and under the Performance tab it show the uptime.

thanks in advance
      Ma-Xell

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Generally, OEM manufacturers customize operating system for their specific models of computers including video and sound related settings. So, it is recommended that you contact your computer manufacturer Support to address this issue. In this way, you will resolve the issue efficiently. Thank you for your understanding.

For your convenience, I have posted the HP Support link:

HP Support

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Monday, June 16, 2008 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You are correct. Generally this kind of issue can be resulted by one of the following common factors:

1. Driver issue.

2. There is a software conflict with the audio driver.

3. Hardware issue.

Before moving on, please let me know whether this computer is pre-shipped with an OEM version of Windows Vista system. Did the issue occur after you cleanly installed the Windows Vista system or got the computer?

Let’s narrow down the root cause by take the following suggestions:

Suggestion 1: Install official audio driver.

==========================

I noticed the latest official audio driver is released on 14 Aug 2007, and you installed the driver is released on 27 Mar 2008. As non-official can cause potential incompatibility problem. I suggest you install the official version.

For your convenience:

Download drivers and software

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3356623&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3368539

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Suggestion 2: Disable or remove SRS Audio Sandbox

==========================

Because this program can affect the audio driver on the computer, please temporarily disable or remove this program to test this issue.

Suggestion 3: Take a Clean Boot to disable third party programs.

=================

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

If possible, you can use parallel installation to determine whether it is a hardware problem. In addition, you also can contact HP Support to narrow down it whether is a hardware issue.

Friday, June 13, 2008 9:32 AM
  • Hi,
    The computer was pre-shipped with an OEM version of Vista Business, all I had to do was start the computer and select which version of the OS to install(32 or 64bit).

About the audio driver, the most recent version of the driver(
    27 Mar 2008) was installed by Windows Update not long ago. Before that I had the driver that is available (14 Aug 2007) on the HP website installed.

I disabled all the startup processes,
    services(except Microsoft services) and SRS Sandbox and restarted the computer. The problem is still the same.
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Hi,

Generally, OEM manufacturers customize operating system for their specific models of computers including video and sound related settings. So, it is recommended that you contact your computer manufacturer Support to address this issue. In this way, you will resolve the issue efficiently. Thank you for your understanding.

For your convenience, I have posted the HP Support link:

HP Support

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Monday, June 16, 2008 9:30 AM
  • Hi,
    I have contacted HP support and they told me to update the BIOS, which didn't help. Then they told me that there might be a problem with the internal speakers and to take the pc to the nearest Authorized Service Provider.

Thanks for your help
    Monday, June 16, 2008 3:06 PM