none
Upgrading from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a IIS server that I wish to upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2 from Windows Server 2012 but when I put in my Windows Server 2012 R2 DVD I got a compatibility issue.  I am aware that both operating systems are evaluation but after the upgrade I intended to use a MSDN key to activate Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.  That way I could save a product key.  I have taken a snip of the screen.

Charles

Sunday, November 17, 2013 2:20 AM

Answers

• Okay, I'm pretty sure you cannot upgrade versions with the evaluation copy.  I was thinking of upgrading from eval to MSDN.

You could build out a new environment, take a backup of your IIS environment, and install that on the new environment.  For help on doing this, look to the IIS forums - www.iss.net/forums.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:33 PM

All replies

• If you plan to use an MSDN key after upgrade, have you tried using MSDN media for the upgrade?

Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:03 PM
  • Yes, but I still get the same error. I tried with both evaluation media and MSDN media but it will not upgrade.

Charles

Monday, November 18, 2013 12:37 AM
  • Okay, I'm pretty sure you cannot upgrade versions with the evaluation copy.  I was thinking of upgrading from eval to MSDN.

You could build out a new environment, take a backup of your IIS environment, and install that on the new environment.  For help on doing this, look to the IIS forums - www.iss.net/forums.

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:33 PM