Admin RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a need to repeat both text, and text and tables, inside a Report (Word Document) in different locations of the Report.  For example, the paragraph or paragraph/table will repeat on page 12, then page 27, then page 62.  How do I write the text once, and have it entered in all three locations? 

Also, when the text is updated on any page (page 12, 27, 62), how can it be updated in the other areas when it is only entered at any one of the three locations inside the Report?

Thank-you for your assistance with my request in advance.

Bob1118

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:30 PM

All replies

• Simply bookmark the content that is to be replicated, then insert a cross-reference to the bookmark at the relevant locations. If you update the bookmarked content, pressing Ctrl-A, F9, for example, will update the cross-references.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 11:29 PM
  • The method recommended by Paul will work to meet your first goal. It will not provide the second requested feature of a change in any one place in your document will be reflected in others places unless the changed place is the bookmarked one.

You could use mapped Rich-Text Content Controls. To create such controls, I use Greg Maxey's Content Control Tools. That Add-In does the heavy lifting of creating such controls. It is not needed to use the documents/templates created using it. A Rich-Text control is needed to hold a table. Once you create the control in one place in your document you can copy it and paste to other places. Changes made in the original or copy will be reflected in all.

Text not in a table can be handled also using content controls but you would not need rich-text controls and could potentially use the built-in document property content controls. Repeating Data Using Document Properties Content Controls and Other Mapped Content Controls

This will only work in Ribbon versions of Word used on computers (not mobile devices). You cannot create such controls on a Mac. Content Controls are inserted using the Developer Tab if you do not use the document properties or Greg's Content Control Tools. AFAIK, Paul's partial solution will work in all versions of Word; it certainly will work on the Mac and on earlier non-ribbon versions of Word.

----------------------------------------

Bob:

If you can, please rename your post so that others looking for help on this can find it. It is currently named "Admin" but I would suggest "Repeat table in multiple places" or something similar.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, December 28, 2017 7:41 AM
  • Hi Bob,

Please refer to the above replies of Paul and Charles and see if they can resolve your issue. If you find their posts helpful, it would be appreciated that you can helo mark the useful replies as answer so that others who might have a similar question can more easily search for the answer. 

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 28, 2017 1:00 PM